[Xmca-l] Re: Response to Spoilsport: Beyond oppositional dualitiesindrama in education and dialogic pedagogy to promote learning possibilities

Edmiston, Brian W. edmiston.1@osu.edu
Tue Mar 1 19:45:31 PST 2016

Hi Larry

I’m using Vygotsky’s idea that when we play we foreground what we imagine over material reality so that the meaning of what we do predominates. We we play we are intending to pretend - you can’t be made to play - that’s what I mean by ‘at will'. I’m not sure which metaphor captures that experience best: fore- and back- or maybe over- and under- or stepping ‘in' and ‘out' of imagined spaces, events, and worlds.

On the other hand I can see that there can be a sense of ‘being captured by’ - e.g. when the adults in the class I’m teaching initially pretended to row the boat and wave a sheet as a sail children wanted to join in - they asked and/or literally ran to join in - and probably with little intention. Though I think they must they were still exercising some ‘will' - the pretending could not simply be maintained by others. In a similar way, when you sit down with a child and are really interested in a book they are likely to ‘lean in’ physically and be ‘drawn in’ to the world via the illustrations and your talk especially if you pretend to talk like a character which ‘captures’ their interest and brings meaning to the dialogue …

Is that what you mean by a structure of shared perception/action?

Brian