[Xmca-l] Re: Noumenal and Phenomenal

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:09:08 PDT 2016

Martin (and others),

Well, yes, one wouldn't want to leave out what these things accomplish, but
one might want to leave out the dualistic baggage that a reified notion of
intellect and cognition bring with them (and as Michael notes, one might
find this baggage not too burdensome to carry - or at least less burdensome
than the task of trying to come up with a new language for thinking
thought).

So then the question with intellect and cognition, in short "thinking", is
really: how might we think thinking in ways that do not presuppose the
separation of thinking from living - as if thinking happens in some
otherworldly (rational?) realm apart from everyday life?

How might we instead conceive of thinking as something that dwells within a
being? How might we return thinking to Being? And by doing so, take hold of
a notion of thinking-Being as something that can develop across time?

To put the core question slight differently, we might ask: What is called
thinking?

Here is one response (of which I'm sure you, Martin, are quite aware):
http://hermitmusic.tripod.com/heidegger_thinking.pdf

-greg

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 1:19 AM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co