[Xmca-l] Re: Noumenal and Phenomenal

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Tue Jun 28 08:33:50 PDT 2016

I am not following your argument, Michael. You suggest that the explanation of individual development is somehow parallel to the issue of Intelligent Design. Intelligent Design is the claim that the order we see in the universe must have been designed, and design requires intelligence, therefore a god must exist. Presumably you find that argument convincing, or you would not suggest the parallel. I, however, do not find it a convincing argument: order in the universe emerges and evolves over time.

In the same way, the order in human activity emerges and evolves over time. You seem to be suggesting that explaining order in individual psychological development must require something that remains "constant as the circumstances of activity constantly change.” Well, children are born into a highly structured social context. And LSV *does* posit something else that is, or becomes, relatively “constant” in human psychological development: he calls it personality. Not mind.

Martin