[Xmca-l] Re: Noumenal and Phenomenal

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Sun Jun 26 15:39:28 PDT 2016

Related, I think Larry, to two different models of language change. One is the genealogical tree, familiar to us all. The other is a model of waves:

“The tree model requires definite, stable languages, exactly what was denied by the Wave Model; if there are no permanent languages, then they cannot evolve as a tree. Conversely, the Wave Model regards languages as impermanent collections of features at the intersections of multiple circles. What really exists are dialect continua.” (Wikipedia)

More here: <http://dienekes.blogspot.com.co/2011/11/splits-or-waves-trees-or-webs.html>

Martin