[Xmca-l] Re: Noumenal and Phenomenal

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:37:57 PDT 2016

James:

I see big problems with BOTH views of "sign", and I think that for
Vygotskyans they BOTH need to be modified.

The Saussurean sign is dualistic. True, Saussure insists that both the
sound and the concept are said to be mental images and not material, but
then the existence of the sign in the material world and the formation of
the mental image is left not accounted for. Saussure's only way of
accounting for mental images is...associationist psychology. This isn't
compatible with a Vygotskyan psychology.

The Peircean sign is more promising in this respect, because it allows the
index to exist independently, materially, without an interpretant (for
example, when leaves turn red it's a sign of winter coming even when there
is no one there to interpret it). Similarly, the icon can exist
independently without an object: a rose is a rose by any other name, and
its rosiness doesn't point to anything other than itself. But I don't see
how a pencil line is really a sign for a nonexistent geometrical Euclidean
line unless it points us to that nonexistent concept and unless there is
someone like Euclid to interpret it that way. So I don't agree with
Peirce's definition of an icon.

I think it's more useful for Vygotskyans to think of language has having
three properties: the biomechanical (e.g. articulation), the indicative
(e.g. interpersonal properties of language such as deixis, getting
attention, exchanging goods and services, etc.) and the conventional (e.g.
representational properties of language). I think these are related to the
Peircean categories, but not reducible to them, because they also
correspond to lower level (biomechanical) and higher level (conventional)
psychological systems. In this view, to return to Greg's question,
indexicality is indeed central--it is the link between the lower, non-human
aspects of speech and the higher, cultural ones.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University