[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Jun 15 10:02:48 PDT 2016

But James,

Is this true in light of information technologies.  Information never dies on the Internet, and it is never confabulated.  It is basically constant.  We seem to be having trouble with this as a society because the transition has been so fast.

I wonder if before external semiotic symbols memory was stored in a shaman or a story teller.  Nobody could question memory because the keeper of memories was the only source.

With external semiotic symbols memory started to be kept in the external narrative.  But the gatekeepers became those who wrote or reported the narratives.  People depended on experts and there was really no way to challenge this.  Dewey has written some real interesting stuff on this.

As we become more used to external symbols becoming more continuous because they are both more accessible and as I mentioned they are constant there is a growing change I think in who and or what we choose to mediate our memories.  In many cases we mediate them ourselves.  This is really showing up in the US election in a number of interesting and strange ways.

So how does Pierce's ideas on semiosis apply when there are no mediating force and there is much less of a battle over the actual external symbols that are representative of our memories?

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Ma, James (james.ma@canterbury.ac.uk) [james.ma@canterbury.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:32 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; ablunden@mira.net
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage

Just to add that memory is also unreliable. In general, the human mind is only capable of remembering the nub of something and at the same time tends to confabulate the details of that something when recalling. Semiotically speaking, each time we recall something, our memory is mediated by those already confabulated details - which leads to a further distorted interpretation. Peirce's semiosis is relevant here.

James