[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Tue Jun 14 13:49:19 PDT 2016

David,

Yes, I think that's it.  I must have been merging this description with the strings used for memory described by Leontiev Bella pointed to.

Thanks so much, this solves one mystery in my life.  I wish they could all be answered so quickly.

Thanks so much,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 4:36 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage

Michael:

I think you are actually thinking of an incident that Vygotsky describes from the work of V.K. Arsen'ev. It's on p. 50 of Vol. Four of the Collected Works, and you can read it here:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1931/research-method.htm

See paragraph 118. There's also a footnote about it in "Concrete Psychology" (see number 14).

By some accounts, Vygosky was in correspondence with Arsen'ev, who wrote "Dersu the Trapper". Akira Kurasawa made this book into a wonderful movie, which you can see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QYxy2HkpJ0&list=PL0dYx2N3BTuRcLGyHXBszwNgSy-0GoAfM

David Kellogg
Macquarie University