[Xmca-l] Re: Sad news-- Jerry Bruner has died

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:48:48 PDT 2016

It's possible to interpret Professor Bruner's email as hubris on several
counts:

a) It assumes that he was the first to use this metaphor. It's not clear to
me that this is the case--a number of people used it and Peter Langford and
Renee van der Veer have included Vygotsky in this number, although I have
not seen evidence of this at all.

b) It assumes that it was a good label for the phenomenon he is describing.
This is not clear to me either, as it is a mechanical one, and suggests
that knowledge is something entirely external to the child or worse that
the child himself is the work in progress.

c) It suggests that Bruner is a prophet to whom accurate, correct,
influential "intuitions" come out of the blue, his hand made strong by the
hand of the Almighty. This slights a lot of the painstaking work that
Bruner did; like Mike he came out of a rigorously behaviorist training,
which like Mike he had to transcend rather than simply (like most of us)
disdain without first mastering (I remember an early work of Bruner's in
which he defined development as "the lengthening of the distance between
the stimulus and the response").

As I said, I don't interpret Professor Bruner's email in that way. Like
Rob, I found it helpful, but mostly because it emphasized the random,
aleatory, and not very well thought out quality of the metaphor.

I think where we really disagree is on the nature of that metaphor--I don't
agree at all that it has been a useful tool for thinking about learning,
much less about development, and it has been a very blunt instrument for
thinking about the zone of proximal development.

I made the point before that Vygotsky measures the ZPD in years, but nobody
else does. One important reason that nobody else does is that people have
assimilated the ZPD to scaffolding, which is manifestly (in Bruner, Woods
and Ross and also in Acts of Meaning) about an instantaneous assimilation
of a ready made solution.

Over the last few weeks I have been translating the lecture on the Crisis
at Three from Vygotsky's lectures on pedology. Now, if you read the
material in Volume Five of the English Collected Works of LSV, you will be
very disappointed. Vygotsky begins the lecture with the statement that he
is going to examine the crisis from three points of view: neoformation,
line of development, and zone of proximal development. Then he says that
before he does any of these things, he wants to examine a good deal of
factual material (this is a typical move for Vygotsky--he never wants to
impose his categories on the material and instead prefers to allow them to
emerge from it, having given us some advance word of what to expect). The
editors of the Collected Works claim that the "factual material" is taken
from Elsa Kohler (one of the great unsung heroes of child development and
also gay rights, who lived openly with her lover in Nazi occupied Vienna).
On the face of it, though, it's just the "Seven Stars"--a folk theory in
Russia which corresponds to our folk theory of "terrible twos" and
"threenagers". And then the material ends, without any further mention of
the neoformation, the line of development or the ZPD.

Without Galina Korotaeva, this would be the end of the story. But
Korotaeva's edition of the "Lektsii' po pedologii" has a lecture "The
Crisis at Three and the Crisis at Seven" which for all the world appears to
take up precisely where the material in the Collected Works left off
(Vygotsky begins by referring back to the "Seven Stars" and noting the
unkept promise!). In fact, this appearance is misleading: the lecture in
Korotaeva's edition dates from a year BEFORE the material in the CW. But it
seems very likely that Vygotsky gave this course ("Foundations of
Pedology") more than once in the last two years of his life, and so I think
we can nevertheless read this as an early version of the continuation of
the CW material. Here Vygotsky really does talk about the neoformation
("hypobulia"), discuss lines of development (tantrums where the child
appears to act contrary to his own wishes, refusing to do things he
actually wants to do, and insisting on doing things that he doesn't really
care about or even dislikes). Then LSV says:

Остается ответить на последний вопрос: что же делает это поведение ребенка
гипобулическим и выделяет от волевого поведения ребенка дошкольного
возраста? То противоречивое положение, которое сказывается в том, что
ребенок делает эти отношения другим мотивом своей деятельности, оторвано от
своих собственных желаний и фактически делает вопреки собственным желаниям.
Иначе говоря, получается парадоксальное явление, когда существенным
содержанием 3-летнего кризиса является дифференцировка воли от аффекта.

"What remains is to reply to the last question: What does this hypobulic
behavior of the child offer, and what does it prefigure for the volitional
behavior of the child in preschool age? The contradictory position that
affects the child offers this different relative motive for his own
behavior, divorced from his own inclinations and facutally acting contrary
to his inclinations. In a word, what transpires is a paradoxical phenomenon
where the essential content of the crisis at three consists in the
differentiation of will from affect."

What is the last question? I think it's the question he asks at the very
beginning of the material in the CW--what is the zone of proximal
development for the Crisis at Three? And here the answer is most clear:
it's the NEXT zone of development, that is, the actual zone of development
for the preschool years (ages 3-7), i.e. it's not and never has been
scaffolding.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University