[Xmca-l] Re: Political constructions of self vs politicalconstructions of identity

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 10:00:17 PDT 2016

Rein and David,
Thanks so much for the link to The Life of Brian! Through the wonders and connectivity of the internet that took me to  to an appearance of John Cleese on the Stephen Colbert Show. At the end of the spot Cleese says he is going on a vacation to the Bahamas and plans to write a book: There Is No Hope. This is funny and pokes at my own seriousness in the way I respond to the current presidential campaign. I am thinking about how my Navajo friends use humor. How can they laugh at what would absolutely crush me? I am talking about health and family tragedies that dwarf my own contretemps. Which brings me to quote from your post: "There is nothing, repeat, nothing, in any set of beliefs and feelings we entertain at one moment that absolutely has to be retained so that we would remain the same persons at another.” So, might one add to what David is trying to develop for his course for teachers in the making the practice of humor? An ethical practice at that.
Sort of seriously
Henry