[Xmca-l] Re: I just think it's great, more than great,

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Jul 30 01:01:28 PDT 2016

I don't think there is any hope of seeing a person when it comes to the election of a champion to save the nation!

The whole business of wanting to vest all our hopes in a single individual seems rather mediaeval  and I suspect that 'the people', seen as an electing mass, are not ready to make do with a real person. So candidates are packaged and spun and then someone who has packaged himself as being unpackaged and 'telling it like it is' has an odd appeal.

The issue with Hillary is not what Bill did (or may have done) but with what she has said or done about what he did. Standing by your man is all very well up to a point but standing by (being a bystander) can also be a sign of moral indecisiveness. The issue is how much you can allow yourself not to see when your eyes are on the prize - even if the prize is getting to a position where you may be able to do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Noone ever said it would be easy!

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Annalisa Aguilar
Sent: 29 July 2016 23:41
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: I just think it's great, more than great,

Hi Rod,

I want to believe that she is a better option than he is, too.

If people decide to not vote for her because of her husband, that is their choice. I vote for the person, not the person's spouse.

Bringing up all the ugliness of sexual stories associated with the candidates seems to be a red herring, if you ask me. That's not to confirm or deny these his-stories, it's just to say it's more sensationalism. It's just another way to not talk about the issues.

Did anyone notice in the speech last night that her husband was referred to as "Explainer-in-chief"?

Wonder what that meant...?

In any case, I'm just happy that a woman has been nominated for the office of President. To be able to rant over the inadequacies of the woman-candidate is far more interesting than having no woman-candidates to rant about at all.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>