[Xmca-l] Re: Identity through "experiential texts"

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Thu Jul 28 14:28:31 PDT 2016

Thanks for the suggestions, Greg, and also for recalling the prior XMCA discussion.

Because my course is a compressed month-long experience, I'm ruling out books, limiting the academic contributions to shorter works--Stanton's piece might fit in nicely.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Thompson
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:12 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Identity through "experiential texts"

Some suggestions, one popular and a few academic.

Popular: The Butterfly Effect (movie starting Ashton Kusher)

Academic, more accessible: Stanton Wortham's essay The Heterogenously Distributed Self

Academic, middling: Hyang-Jin Jung's book Learning to be an Individual:
Emotion and Person in an American Junior High School

Academic, more difficult: Vincent Colapietro's book Peirce's Approach to the Self: A Semiotic Perspective

Academic, much more difficult: Karl Marx's Chapter 1 of the Grundrisse.
This seems to me to be a fundamental articulation of the project (although it helps to read something of Smith's Wealth of Nations prior to this - but might not hurt to balance that with Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments, esp. the "looking glass theory of the self" later developed by Charles Cooley... that reminds me that Goffman's Presentation of Self in Everyday Life is a classic piece that can do a lot of work, and Mead's I/me distinction as confused as it is can get students thinking about the thoroughly social nature of the self). Also, Marx's Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts - esp. passages on species being and the idea that "man [sic] is social when doing science" (or something like that).

Academic, don't go there: Hegel on Self-consciousness.

Some other stuff: Ken Gergen's Relational Self (2 books with that in the title), Bakhtin on consummation, Volosinov's Freudianism critique, Foucault on subjectification, Hacking on "making up people" (and/or "a historical ontology of ourselves").

Okay, now I've gone too far.

Love to hear what you are able to put together.

-greg
p.s. speaking of memory and the self, in doing a quick search for zoopoliticon [sic], I found this interesting XMCA post from a gentleman I don't remember:
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2014-03.dir/msg00175.html

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor