[Xmca-l] Re: Identity through "experiential texts"

Kevin O'Connor kevin.oconnor@colorado.edu
Thu Jul 28 10:53:09 PDT 2016

Hi David-
This sounds really interesting - it would be great to see what you come up with.

There were a number of films that came out in the early 2000’s that explored themes of memory, memory loss, memory erasure - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 50 First Dates, and others.  I think films like this problematize the essential self, at least implicitly, though what each film does with it can vary.

The best of these films, in my view, was Memento; it has the added bonus of placing mediational means at the center of the main character’s narrative reconstruction of identity. I’ve never assigned it as a primary text for a course, though I have recommended it and had useful discussions about it with students.

Good luck with your course!

Kevin