[Xmca-l] Re: The Semiotic Stance.pdf

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Jul 17 17:44:35 PDT 2016

The mirror metaphor, as used by Vygotsky, is very good for
conveying the phantasmic nature of objects of thought, but
the defect with it as a metaphor is that it does not well
convey the fact that these thought-objects are also
effective (and in that specific sense act-ual) in orienting
objective practice. The mirror metaphor needs to be made
more specific, such as with the rear-vision mirror of a car,
where the driver can reliably use the image to reverse,
thereby changing what is reflected, knowing all the while
that there is nothing "in" or behind the mirror (something
my cat has never understood).

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy