[Xmca-l] Re: The Semiotic Stance.pdf

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 18:59:18 PDT 2016

OK — from Andy’s link:

"When we know the thing and the laws of reflection of light, we can always explain, predict, elicit, and change the phantom.”

How about this: the thing is what the teacher wants the student to learn. By understanding how people learn (the laws of reflection of light), the teacher can explain, predict, elicit and change what the student learns (the phantom).

I like thinking of what the learner learns as a phantom. It certainly feels like a phantom at the beginning of a class and gets more flesh on it as the weeks go by, but is still a phantom at the end of the semester, although hopefully a different-looking phantom.

Helena