[Xmca-l] Re: Request: Chandler article

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 06:01:01 PDT 2016

Annalisa,
I believe that Terry Turner was one of the few Marxists academics at
Chicago who would actively support students who were involved in practical
Marxist activity (and some of his students would lob the epithet "bourgeois
Marxist" at the other Marxist academics - I TA'd with one of his students
who, after getting her PhD, had pursued a non-academic PhD, but she
continued to teach in the core as just one aspect of her continued
activism). Anyway, I didn't know him personally but all second hand reports
I've ever heard have been very positive.

As to the paper you mentioned yes, it looks like a very interesting take on
Piaget. I found this in it:
"Piaget’s essentially dynamic approach to the concept of structure is
reflected in two representative statements from Structuralism:

the “being” of structures consists in their becoming, that is, in their
being “under construction” [1970a:139].

There is no structure apart from construction [1970a:140].

“Construction,” or the process through which structures are formed, is thus
the most important concept in Piaget’s theory of structure."

I wonder if it might be possible to read Piaget as a philosopher of the
constitution of Being? Or am I reading too much into (out of?) that passage?

-greg
p.s. Anthrosource was supposed to have gone open access, so I've shared
this article with all. I think there is a way to get articles through open
access but you just have to find the right way into it. Could be a great
resource for anyone without library privileges out there!

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor