[Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:09:28 PDT 2016

This next post reminds me of Hutchins's Distributed Cognition.

I don't think the intentions of increasing happiness in the world is a bad thing. I think trying to quantify it is a bad thing, because everyone sees happiness reflected in the world differently. How does one quantify a reflection?

That is where the issue lies.

Once you believe that you can quantify something as ethereal as happiness, then you can legitimize data collection and data crunching as a means of reading tea leaves.

It's better to leave the leaf reading to the professionals.

The intention of utilitarianism is totally appropriate, the execution is what fails, summing that up.

Kind regards,

Annalisa

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:43 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

You're not working for Tony Blair are you, Henry?

You don't know the consequences of what you do, Henry. OK,
you may possibly know the immediate, proximate results of
your action, but you can have no idea of the outcome of the
chain reaction you set off. Especially in any "difficult"
decision, given that we live in a world in which everyone is
acting strategically (as in game theory), devising their
strategy on the basis of what they think you're going to do,
while you are designing your strategy on what you think they
think you're going to do, etc. Ask any economist who is
capable of given a halfway honest answer. Ask Tony Blair.
Ask a bookmaker. We all tend to act as if we knew the
consequences of our actions, but we don't. The point is
aimed at ethical theories like utilitarianism which say you
should do whatever increases the sum total of happiness in
the world. This is a stupid idea, even if you did know the
consequences of your idea. So Einstein would never have
published his paper on relativity, I guess. But of course
he'd only know if he did the right thing 50 years later, and
then it would be too late. Anyone who isn't a prophet
shouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy
Andy Blunden's Home Page<http://home.mira.net/~andy>
home.mira.net
Andy Blunden's Home Page with links to pages I maintain and mail-to buttons