[Xmca-l] Re: Symmbolic Mediation of joint action

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 17:13:21 PDT 2016

Very interesting resonances between Elkonin and Kockelman in Elkonin's
description of the sign:
"The problem of a joint action is the problem of the interpsychic, as Vygotsky
called it. But the most important thing is the concerted action. It changes
the nature of orientation. Orientation to the action of another is, at the
same time, an orientation of one’s own action. An orientation to material
and objective conditions is subordinate to orientation to another’s action
(it must be uncovered)."

This seems to be why Kockelman and other anthropologists (e.g., Webb Keane)
have been so taken with the concept of joint attention (mostly Tomasello's
work). For Kockelman, the sign is a relator of relators in as much as it
relates one person's relation to a thing (via semiosis) to another person's
relation to the thing via a third.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.