[Xmca-l] Re: Semioticians, parse this please

Wendy Maples wendy.maples@outlook.com
Sun Jul 3 14:45:23 PDT 2016

Thank you for sharing, Helena (and congratulations!). I was interested to see the original Ghostbusters in our local community cinema last Halloween. While I still thoroughly enjoyed it, I was struck by how very slow the pace was and how 'instructional' the dialogue. I was pleased that your son made the point that his company is in the 'narrative' business, but I wonder about the differences in narrative. Certainly there have been significant changes in the speed of cuts/edits in film production (much faster now), and we know that many technologies are designed to be as intuitive as possible. But where does that leave creative narrative? This is a genuine question. Does the growth of VR anticipate that (what we meant by) narrative will change?