[Xmca-l] Re: Collective moments and perezhivanie - the Bowie phenomenon

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 20:05:29 PST 2016

Susan and Annalisa,
Thank you very much for your posts. I understand better at this moment art, performance and agency. Regarding Bowie's trans-generational narrative, I have fantasized that I am, at 72, capable of late blooming, even if that only means dying with dignity, and maybe a bit of panache. And maybe even juice for more than that. My favorite part of teaching has been reaching across generation gaps, whatever the cultural differences between my students and me. I have craved their respect and trust, even as I reflected on my shortcomings. Were I famous, would those I have injured speak ill of me? I have fantasized such fame and that I made my apologies before the infamy of public shaming. We, the unfamous, will go to our graves without fear that we will be publically outed. But we will still be disappointed in ourselves when we let go a chance to learn from our screw ups and do better the next time. Else what is perizhvanie for?
Henry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLE1Gno724 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLE1Gno724>