[Xmca-l] Re: Volkelt's diagram (LSV's HMF Vol 4)

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:41:52 PST 2016

Hi David,

I think I can summarise your description of meaning potential as a
performative act (Austen) which can be appreciated in terms of alternative
acts which were not undertaken, i.e. a commonality and variability analysis
of a unit expression for a given domain.

If we are taking activity and orientation into consideration, then it is
sensible to widen the scope of this act to include the orientation and
perhaps look for congruence in the content of the act with the orientation.

With respect to the construction of knowledge with respect to using tools
and manufacturing tools, an appreciation of this meaning potential is
indeed available, although once we are habituated to the use of a tool it
is not so readily consciously available -- it is often most manifest when
we are first becoming habituated to the operations that a tool affords.  It
may be that an appreciation for the design of artefacts facilitates this
appreciation.  The menu system you refer to is a sitting duck in this
regard, although it makes some things easier for some people, it makes
other things much harder.

In my attempt to understand how you are applying this to mind, my response
is the same.  Yes, we can appreciate how having certain knowledge changes
the landscape of capabilities of a student, and we can appreciate how
different variants of this knowledge can induce different capabilities.
This is the essential technical aspect of conceptual development in
developmental psychology.

Best,
Huw