[Xmca-l] Re: Request for advice

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Jan 3 23:35:19 PST 2016

David, my argument for "group work" was solely that such
contact hours would be conducted in the students' and
tutors' native language. It was meant as a kind of
compromise, allowing the university to present an
English-only face to the world via textbooks, curriculum
material, large lectures and (hopefully) audiorecordings of
lectures, all of which can be rehearsed and revisited, while
the "real" education is happening in face-to-face contact
between the lecturer/tutor and the student. I think the idea
someone mentioned of using students or postgrads who have
good English skills to assist at this point was a good one, too.
We had a great discussion about the point you are making
when we were discussing mathematics education a year or so ago.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/