[Xmca-l] Re: Request for advice

vwilk@inf.shizuoka.ac.jp vwilk@inf.shizuoka.ac.jp
Sat Jan 2 23:28:40 PST 2016

Dear Helena,
They say we should teach classes entirely in English in Japan.

Many lifelong language teachers here accept that isn't probable or
possible.
I have the most success with a mix with an upperclassman student with a
higher level of English
interacting with me in front of the rest of the class.  The ones who can
"hear" are processing and attempt to participate. The ones who don't,
move with the others to imitate. It's easy to conceal that they aren't
hearing and understanding, as long as specific acts of understanding are
not required.  It's very easy to nod understanding when you don't.

I cobbled together a language teaching approach based on "Community
Language Learning" (40 years ago) and Wharton's Freshman "boot camp" (
2004 vintage) for which older students were given credit for a class to
coach/mentor a group of freshmen in a community activity. Einami's code-
switching and code mixing resonates with ideas of mixed community events
where "intrinsic" skills emerge and the group follows community leaders.

The maneuvre is to merge and invite, without precipitating rejection.
The approved English speaker models the desired goal and draws out
certain talented learners who demonstrate their ability, which improves
the more they do it, in an environment in which they will not be
punished for talent.  There is also a larger group of participants doing
what they can to keep up.

This all goes together with the flow provided by Andy's comment:
"and on the other hand tutorials, which apart from being
essential to the education provided by top-line universities
are informal and conversational? Perhaps to allow mixing
languages in the tutorials so that the concepts delivered in
lectures and books can be *grasped*."

The "event" or "collaborative group project" is something which can be
rooted in its own native culture, and celebrated - with goal language
narrative moving along with the original impulse celebrating community,
family, culture - with visual input provided by the home culture - it's
familiar.  ...  It project grows and the English grows along with it...

It seems to me that you wanted a brief suggestion in a presentation ...
putting forth an idea that might be acceptable to the deciders ... So
the ideas that are being offered are to be boiled down into an image. So,
 perhaps there is something in the culture right in front of you that
carries the index of what you are looking for (as in David's suggestions
mentioning Chinese influence, French, or American on the Vietnamese
culture.)