[Xmca-l] Re: Request for advice

Elinami Swai swaiev@gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 20:32:08 PST 2016

Dear Helena.
Your dilemma resonates with what we are experiencing in Tanzania. As a
post colonial country, we have been grappling with the issue of
language of instruction for a very long time. Our education system has
been jogging between Kiswahili and English and for a long time we had
settled on Kiswahili for all the subjects in elementary level (primary
1-7) and English for secondary  to university level.

Talk of silences in classrooms. Here and there you could hear a sound
of broken English from the teachers. The end product of such a process
does not need to be described here.

Of recent, the new policy has granted the use of both languages
(Kiswahili and English).

In your case, think of code-switching and code-mixing. Another
strategy is team teaching (check Stanford University).

Kind Regards,

Elinami

--
Dr. Elinami Swai
Senior Lecturer
Associate Dean
Coordinator, Postgraduate Studies
Faculty of Education
Open University of Tanzania
P.O.Box 23409
Dar-Es-Salaam
Tell:255-022-2668992/2668820/2668445/26687455
 Fax:022-2668759
Cell: (255) 076-722-8353; (255) 068-722-8353
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Womens-Empowerment-Africa-Dislocation/dp/
0230102484
        ...this faith will still deliver
        If you live it first to last