[Xmca-l] Re: Response to Spoilsport: Beyond oppositional dualities indrama in education and dialogic pedagogy to promote learning possibilities

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 20:40:41 PST 2016

As I read Ana’s entry into this genre exploring drama and dialogue through the leverage gained through the symbolic personification  of the *spoilsport* I sensed  her opening  a conversation on various *structures of consciousness*.  On page 51 Ana explores the question of what becomes *suspended* [belief or disbelief]. In other words the thematic of the relation of reality to the imaginal, the fictional, and the illusional and our ways of evaluating what we take on faith to be believed.

If the *spoilsport* is imagined as a *structure of consciousness* in the form of a symbolic personification describing the *character* of this person/icon then we can ask why Ana is captured by this persona?
Ana values this person because s/he shatters the play-world *itself* by withdrawing from this game. In the act of *withdrawing* this person REVEALS the relativity and fragility of these play-worlds.The spoilsport robs play of its *illusion*.

Ana then focuses on the this word *illusion* calling it a pregnant word. Illusion means *literally*  [in-play from illusio, illudere, inludere]. This structure of consciousness trespasses against the rules, and threatens the existence of the play community.
This *figure* shatters and transfigures [even annihilates] what is assumed to be true [and natural]. This figure REVEALS different points of view through withdrawing and in the process of withdrawing opens a space/zone of new boundaries on the other side of the horizon of the taken for granted limits of shared reality.

Now how does Ana identify the figure/person of the spoilsport? She identifies this *structure of consciousness* with what are called apostates, heretics, innovators, prophets, conscientious objectors, etc.
Then Ana makes the case that this structure of consciousness is de/valued in both the world of high seriousness and the world of play. However, this same structure of consciousness is highly valued in critical dialogue as the *spark* that ignites or generates the dialogue which puts BOTH the illusion and the real to the test.

Now Susan in taking her turn says that in process drama the spoilsport is not devalued but is INCLUDED in the play-world and is welcomed when wanting to **withdraw* from the play-world. This structure of consciousness can be *incorporated* within the place/zone or horizon of the dramatic.

This genre exploring  faith, belief, meaning, illusion, fiction, literal, metaphorical and their relations to what is considered real and *authentic* traverses multiple structures of consciousness and how we include or exclude the spoilsport remains an open question. There are other *figures* or *characters* personifying other structures of consciousness.

 This will take us far afield from the exploration of this  particular personification but I will just mention in passing the figure of Hermes, who is the trickster. He may be as significant a person in play-worlds as the spoilsport.

Sent from Mail for Windows