[Xmca-l] Re: Of Possible Interest to the XCMA/CHAT Family

Ana Marjanovic-Shane anamshane@gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 08:35:54 PST 2016

Dear all,

Thanks for starting this thread about drama in education. I recently
published a paper that takes a critical stance toward Heathcote's drama in
education approach and other approaches to education that are based on
some form of drama, play and/or improv - *"Spoilsport" in Drama in
education vs dialogic pedagogy*.
To play a "spoilsport" myself, in this paper, I claim that Drama in
Education belongs to an educational paradigm that is mainly based on
socialization of students into the socially recognized valuable practices,
values and understanding of the world, which are heavily based on
agreement, collaboration and following of the authority, without students
having legitimate rights and a possibilities to critically disagree,
provide different points of view and question the existing social
practices, values and ways of understanding the world. In other words, in
this educational paradigm - students' disenssus, critical approach to
testing different ideas, views, desires, values, etc. is actively
suppressed, or at best limited, curbed and restricted.

In the paper I provide a detailed analysis of (a part of) the same video
posted here earlier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owKiUO99qrw.  Below
is the abstract of my paper. If interested - you can get it at Dialogic
Pedagogy Journal website -
http://dpj.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/dpj1/article/view/151

So, what do you think?

Ana

____ ____ ____ ____ ____
"Spoilsport" in Drama in education vs dialogic pedagogy
Abstract

 In this paper two educational paradigms that both attempt to overcome
alienation often experienced by students in the conventional education.
These two educational paradigms are embodied in different educational
practices: First, Drama in Education in its widest definition, is based on
the Vygotskian views that human cognitive, semantic (meaning-making), and
social-emotional development happens in or through play and/or imagination,
thus within the imagined worlds. Second, Critical Ontological Dialogic
Pedagogy, is based in the Bakhtin inspired approach to critical dialogue
among the “consciousnesses of equal rights” (Bakhtin, 1999), where
education is assumed to be a practice of examination of the world, the
others and the self. I reveal implicit and explicit conceptual similarities
and differences between these two educational paradigms regarding their
understanding the nature of learning; social values that they promote; the
group dynamics, social relationships and the position of learners’
subjectivity. I aim to uncover the role and legitimacy of the learners’
disagreement with the positions of others, their dissensus with the
educational events and settings, and the relationships of power within the
social organization of educational communities in these two diverse
educational approaches. I explore the legitimacy of dissensus in these two
educational approaches regarding both the participants’ critical
examination of the curriculum, and in regard to promoting the participants’
agency and its transformations. In spite of important similarities between
the educational practices arranged by these two paradigms, the analysis of
their differences points to the paradigmatically opposing views on human
development, learning and education. Although both Drama in Education and
Dialogic Pedagogy claim to deeply, fully and ontologically engage the
learners in the process of education, they do it for different purposes and
with diametrically opposite ways of treating the students and their
relationship to the world, each other and their own developing selves.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 1:58 PM Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> The central thematic therefore ;
> *making people care about things is the core of learning.
>
> This process of coming to care may be that consciousness is  in the 1st
> place not a matter of *I think* but of *I can*
> I want to explore the phenomena of the *phantom limb* that occurs when a
> person who has lost an arm in actuality continues to feel pain in what is
> now a virtual limb which continues to be sensed [felt] as painful.
> Merleau-Ponty took this phenomena as a clear example of how phenomena
> becomes embodied or *endowed* in the experience of the person.
> The invention of a device called a *virtual reality box* was created by
> Ramachandran. The way *virtual* and *reality* are put in conjunction is
> significant. The 1st term occurs in the realm of the non-existent [virtual]
> the 2nd term in the realm of the actual [reality].
>
> In the virtual reality box a mirror is placed and the one actual arm is in
> the box. When the person looks into the box he *sees both arms* because the
> box creates a reverse symmetrical image. The person visually is presented
> with an embodied or endowed right and left arm.
> The person is then instructed to move the phantom left arm into the left
> side of the box and move the real right arm into the right side of the box.
> The patient looked down, saw two arms, and was able to move *both* arms at
> the same time.
> When this was done the person's *synesthetic* response embodied two normal
> arms. The absent arm became present virtually. The phantom limbs arm then
> is extinguished in that virtual arm, hence the phantom limb and its
> sensations were *extinguished*. This virtual reality box shows how
> consciousness is in the first place not a matter of *I think* but in the
> 1st place is a matter of *I can*.
>
> Shifting back to the virtual reality *stage* where drama is a process of
> *I can* I sense a similar process of the play of conjunction between the
> virtual PLACE/zone and the actual PLACE/zone.
> If learning is in the 1st place learning to care then this caring is in
> the 1st place endowing experience with *I can* prior to the experience of
> cognizing as *I think*.
> The place of the *speaking voice* as the *I can* process when in the
> presence of an audience is also meaningFULL  [subject matter that matters]
> becoming endowed through learning [as coming to care for things as the
> subject matter that matters].
> I hope this reflection has some resonance with understanding knowing as
> occurring in the 1st place as an undergoing of an experience as a process
> occurring within virtual actual places.
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

*Ana Marjanovic-Shane*
Dialogic Pedagogy Journal editor (dpj.pitt.edu)
Associate Professor of Education
Chestnut Hill College
phone: 267-334-2905