[Xmca-l] Re: The imploding university

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 05:08:14 PST 2016

The discussion of safe spaces, trigger warnings, mansplaining, checking
white privilege and other positions by feminist scholars and critical race
theorists have been hot topics among scholar activist writing circles.

Search through Medium for any of the above terms.

In terms of renaming buildings or removing Confederate Flags on campus I
can see how that can make campuses more inclusive.

Yet I also worry if we are training activist to only going after low
hanging fruit. At Yale for example the fight was on renaming faculty
advisors to dorm rooms who are currently called,  "headmasters"  yet the
city of New Haven is full of poverty.

So I am not sure how I feel. The pushback from folks similar to the author
is quite strong in conservative and neoliberal circles. I do not want these
voices silenced but we need to learn to listen to underrepresented voices.