[Xmca-l] Re: Of Possible Interest to the XCMA/CHAT Family

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 01:52:53 PST 2016

Sure, Greg. But you have to move the emphasis. Not "knowing what's
irrelevant is the most important thing there IS in teaching!" but "KNOWING
what's irrelevant is the most important thing there is in teaching." As
Heathcote says, if the other boys had jeered that Coventry wasn't in
London, she would have had to defend him, knowing both that Coventry is not
in London AND knowing that it wasn't relevant for that particular child.
But if she didn't KNOW what was irrelevant, as well as the fact that it was
irrelevant, she couldn't do this at all.

I think that if we assume that knowing what's irrelevant is the most
important thing that there IS in teaching, we are left with what Bernstein
would call a strongly framed and strongly classified mode of teaching:
"things must be kept apart", instead of "things must be brought together".
Only if we KNOW all the knowledge to come, the knowledge which in the
present context seems irrelevant, do we have the possibility of teaching
with the next zone of development in mind.

That's all the difference between the zone of proximal development as a
DIAGNOSTIC of development (which is what Vygotsky actually said about it in
Problem of Age Section Three) and the zone of proximal development as a
DYNAMIC of development (which is how the editors of the Collected Works
rendered it). In one case, the teacher really has to know something that is
to the child entirely irrelevant to the present activity, namely the next
zone of development. In the other, the teacher just has to know what is
here and now and what operation of the action or action of the activity has
to come next.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University