[Xmca-l] Re: Of Possible Interest to the XCMA/CHAT Family

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 24 12:12:00 PST 2016

Thanks for the extra info, Susan. I did not know of Heathcote before.
The quotation from Vygotsky caught my eye. Especially:

Essentially, this method of teaching/learning
concepts, *a purely scholastic and verbal method of teaching, which is*

*condemned by everybody and which advocates the replacement of acquisition
of livingknowledge by the assimilation of dead and empty verbal schemes,
representsthe **most basic failing in the field of education*. (Vygotsky
1934/1994a, pp.
356-7)

Since, by 1934, this issue was recognized by everyone, how come it has not
been replaced?
The resilience of drill-and-kill is impressive, as are the successful
attempts, in some social ecologies, to overcome it.

mike

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch