[Xmca-l] Re: "Mediation" as Error Correction

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 06:31:55 PST 2016

A further reflection on the notion of *structures* of primitive thinking.
Vygotsky refers to the German term *sound pictures* expressing the original unity of gesture language and sound language.
He references Junod who suggests that sound/picture language conveys shades of meaning that the higher abstracting and generalizing languages would be incapable of expressing. This structure of language leaves a deep imprint on the whole *structure* of primitive mans thinking.
Thinking that uses this structure of language, just like the language itself, is thoroughly concrete, graphic, and pictorial in its detailed descriptions.
Now Levy-Bruhl makes a value judgement saying this *structure* of language/thinking displays an inadequate power of abstraction which is expressed through a different *structure* of language.
Levy-Bruhl refers to the peculiar internal pictures or IMAGE-concepts which are the *material* for the sound/picture concepts and thinking *structure of this TYPE OR KIND of thinking.

IF we stay with this notion of various types or styles of thinking *structure* I believe we can explore if the sound/picture *structure* is not only *primitive* but can also be understood as expressing contrasting *structures* of consciousness .
One version of this would be to suggest that thesound/picture structuring expresses Dionysus whereas the absract structuring personifies Apollo.

This moves the exploration of various types of *structuring* phenomena to the arena of alternative themes as styles of *consciousness* and infers that the sound/picture structure of consciousness remains relevant for enlivening and animating and deepening conscious experience expressing various types or kinds of structuring, each with its own themes.
This may be wild con-jecture but it is how I was reading the notion of the primitive as expressing a particular *structure* of consciousness.
Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: "Lplarry" <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎2016-‎02-‎15 4:29 AM
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: RE: [Xmca-l] Re: "Mediation" as Error Correction

Vygotsky quotes Gatschet to make a contrast between modern and primitive use of language.
"We tend to speak precisely, whereas an Indian draws as he speaks; we classify, he individualized. For these reasons, the speech of primitive man, in comparison with our language, truly resembles an endlessly complex, accurate, plastic, and photographic description of an event, with the finest details.

Notice the focus on speech AS drawing images in contrast to classifying. THIS focus is endlessly plastic AND accurate.

Now I want to introduce Bob Dylan and his song *Visions of Johanna* and ask us to place his language into Gatschets contrasting notions.
Remember that the symbolism of dylans language transformed our relation to music and culture.