[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Re: Zuckerman's 2016 article and "whatwouldaneducationbe?"

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:34:29 PST 2016

Huw,
I downloaded your paper (Active Orientation) from academia.edu.

On page 2/3 you state :
In more quiescent moments we may find ourselves reflecting or merely recollecting with no apparent conscious purpose; we may perhaps simply appreciate the recollective imagery, to devote our attention to noticing it, or simply to remark at it.
YET, under such circumstances, thoughts still arise IN RELATION TO active orientations.

It is this relation of two types of orientation with two differing styles and tones each in relation to the other that seems a central back and forth in our ways of orienting

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sent: December 11, 2016 8:53 AM
To: Huw Lloyd; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: RE: [Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Re: Zuckerman's 2016 article and "whatwouldaneducationbe?"

Huw,
Your question concerning (voice) and switching between teacher directed goals (her intent to teach mathematics  knowledge as structured work) and the (voice) of group mediated work working to interpret the task, checking with each other, criticism, agreement, etc.

This back and forth movement framed as two contrasting orientations each expressing their own *tone*.
The subtleties in which they can be switched between, merged, fused, (LP -overlayed?) and redeployed from one context to another.
What may be overlooked is the teacher’s voice and tone structuring through *orchestrating* the setting such that there is an implicit obligation to conform to the teacher’s voice?
Your point of interest (LP – theme?) concerns the block in creative engagement when the students are obliged to orient to the teacher’s style and voice and tone.

What I do not hear in this exploration of shifting orientations expressed through teacher voice and group oriented voice is the voice of the individual (person) whose orientation could be withdrawn from the (scene) drowned out by both the teacher voice and the group mediated voice.

To hear his/her tentative voice requires what Winnicott called a *holding* environment. Others orient to the expression – hearing the other into voice.

In the various modes of subtle orientation and engagement we return to the notion of development as *overlayering* of the attachment voice, imitation voice, playful voice, and the learning voice.
Question : when are these multiple voices merging & fusing and infecting each other and when is there distance through overlaying within the multiple orientations.

The image that comes to mind that captures my addition to various voices  is of two hands clasping. One adult and one a child’s. The question left unsaid in this image;
Who is leading who. I imagine the small hand leading the adult hand. This image can extend to voices, and vision and perceiving in general.
Are schools responsible for this *level* or *layer* of orientation of voices?
My bias is to answer - yes

Sent from my Windows 10 phone