[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Re: Zuckerman's 2016 article and "what would aneducationbe?"

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:39:37 PST 2016

 Well, here is a speculative question which may interest Galina: to what
degree is "voice" (situated identity and active orientation towards
particular role-meanings) considered in the platform (the group sustaining
their inquiry) established?

>From one perspective it does not matter too much whether it is considered,
so long as the students attend and respond to the imagery they experience.
Does one even try to distinguish "active persona" on a
scientific/repeatable basis?

On the other hand it may lend further leverage into discerning the
conflicts and associations between "voice".  E.g. whether the direct
(rather than group-mediated) voice of the teacher does not directly block
the students creative and reflexive consideration, but rather that it
powerfully evokes a particular formalised voice on the part of the student.
The consideration was that this might be an appropriate way to link
dialogical (i.e. Bakhtin) considerations to the cognitive aspects of AT and
(perhaps) the implicit thought modes accompanying them.

As I see it, this still supports the adult-child participations,
particularly with respect to directives, e.g. the short verb phrases
commonly acquired by infants/toddlers.  At home we have a delightful phrase
that moved from a caution to mocking (which I think may have been started
by our youngest) which is "Tell-you-off!" it is full off mock reprimand and
gruffly spoken when someone isn't following the script (toddlers love
scripts).

Another thought I had regarding platforms was that when I was at
primary/middle school computers were practically shunned by adults, which
was brilliant. Not only could one devote lots of uninterrupted time to
building things that worked out of one's imagination, the adults would nod
approvingly and say to themselves that the child was learning "computer
skills".  Micro-computers at that juncture not only provided an operating
system platform (usually manifesting as a little blinking cursor, inviting
you to write a program) they established a social space/platform too.  But
not only that, the computer housed the reflections of one's ideas which,
just like one's attention, could be brought to life in an instant.

Best,
Huw