[Xmca-l] Peirce's Approach to Pluralism and System

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:43:02 PDT 2016

This is an extension to the engagement with Rein Raud and the mention of various ways to approach identity, subjectivity, selfhood, and personhood.
>From that conversation, one of the sources to consider (but not the preferred choice) was Vincent Colapietro’s book *Peirce’s Theory of the self: A Semiotic Perspective on Human Subjectivity*

Vincent Colapietro draws attention to the *ambiguity* and tension in Peirce’s desire to be BOTH scientific and systematic. Dispositions that are out of step with many current ways of philosophizing.

Peirce in correspondence with James confessed:
Pluralism does not satisfy either my head or my heart.
Yet in another letter to James he acknowledged his debt to Schelling noting:
One thing I admire about him (Schelling) is his freedom from the trammels of system, and his holding himself UNCOMMITTED to any previous utterance. In that, he is like a scientific man.

Vincent notices it is all too easy for those who have studied intensively the writings of Peirce to get so  caught up in his *system* that they come to see it as a PLACE TO DWELL rather than a point from which to proceed.

I share this as an expression (a creative expression) of the way the places where we dwell *institute* us. These ambiguous places from which we move back and forth (repetition) in order to DEVELOP our self, subjectivity, identity, personhood.
This circles back to perizhevanie, ity, and I will add Merleau Ponty’s notion of *institution* (in contrast to constituting).
The relation of subjectivity and objectivity and the (in between)

This is the limit for a single post. I send this in anticipation of the next theme emerging - perezhivanie

Sent from my Windows 10 phone