[Xmca-l] Re: "English" as a school subject

Helen Grimmett helen.grimmett@monash.edu
Tue Aug 16 17:48:59 PDT 2016

My Scottish neighbour Rab is a builder, and when he showed up briefly on
our Australian home reno reality TV series "The Block" they put subtitles
up every time he spoke because his accent was so thick! My husband and I
were wishing that this facility was available in real life for our 'over
the fence' conversations! I understand completely David your feeling that
you should understand what is being said, but not having the foggiest idea
what is going on.

Sorry Peter, we seem to have derailed your thread...

In Australia, English is much as you describe (the tripod) and is
compulsory through to Year 12. However, in recent times (at least in the
state of Victoria), Year 11 & 12 students can now choose between
'mainstream' English (the tripod), Literature (mostly text analysis),
English Language (the 'science' of language and language acquisition) or
English as an Additional Language (for students with less than 7 years
instruction in English speaking schools - except in the case of indigenous
and hearing-impaired students) to meet this compulsory requirement.
All schools teach mainstream English, most would offer Literature and EAL
if they have enough students wanting to do them, but relatively few offer
English Language.

Cheers,
Helen

--
*Dr HELEN GRIMMETT *
Lecturer in Primary and Early Years Education

*Education*
Monash University
Room 159, Building 902, Berwick Campus
100 Clyde Road
Berwick VIC 3806
Australia

T: +61 3 9904 7171
E: helen.grimmett@monash.edu <name.surname@monash.edu>
monash.edu

*Recent work:*
Helen Grimmett (2016): The Problem of “Just Tell Us”: Insights from Playing
with Poetic Inquiry and Dialogical Self Theory, *Studying Teacher Education*,
DOI: 10.1080/17425964.2016.1143810
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17425964.2016.1143810

Helen Grimmett (2014), The Practice of Teachers' Professional Development:
A Cultural-Historical Approach
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/professional-learning-1/the-practice-of-teachers-professional-development/>
,
Rotterdam: Sense Publishers