[Xmca-l] Re: "English" as a school subject

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Tue Aug 16 03:54:01 PDT 2016

Thanks Greg for the prompt reply. English Education is actually my field, so I'm pretty familiar with the American version, which has long rested on the tripod of literature, writing, and language study as a school subject. Literature is getting shortchanged these days because of the Common Core, but for the most part the subject has been intact for some time now. p

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Mcverry
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:31 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity (xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu) <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: "English" as a school subject

Peter,

I have always heard colloquially that English became a subject first in India where imperial government officials feared their children were being deanglicized by the locals. No idea if it's true.

I also think English as a subject is evolving with the rise of disciplinary literacies as a lens. It is no longer cast as the class where you learn to read and write.

Greg