[Xmca-l] Re: Solids and Liquids/Entities and dynamic flows

Christopher Schuck schuckthemonkey@gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 15:37:06 PDT 2016

That Beatles example was great.

Metaphors may always carry the risk of literalness and reification, yet we
need them so much to even get to the starting line. I personally found the
cup metaphor so helpful as an *initial way* in (if not the end-all and
be-all of metaphors "capturing" liquid modernity). The whole idea of a way
in, an initial approach for the disoriented which then gets supplemented or
replaced by other metaphors, might be a useful way also of conceiving it.
Another metaphor I like when it comes to the recent discussion is that of
water freezing into ice -- often unevenly and in unpredictable spots -- and
perhaps later, melting again. I think of the cult-ure of Trump worship (pun
conveniently provided by the language at hand) as an example of liquid
spilling over, somewhat out of control. What would be the difference
between containing it like a cup, and containing it as a temporarily frozen
sheet of ice? Certainly, sometimes the ice suddenly gives way beneath and
people plunge through what they thought was solid into a much less stable
situation.