[Xmca-l] Re: PDF Document Sociocultural and Feminist Theory_ Mutuality and Relevance.pdf

Indigo Esmonde indigo.esmonde@utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 26 13:50:28 PDT 2016

Greg, I’m so glad you enjoyed the panel. I wish I could have been there!
Angela and I are working on getting this manuscript to the publisher in a month, and hoping it will be out by the end of the year.
Here are the anticipated chapters:

Table of Contents

1.     Sociocultural and cultural-historical theories of learning: where have we been, where are we now? Indigo Esmonde (University of Toronto)
A historical and contemporary overview of the roots and current trends in sociocultural theories of learning. The emphasis is on highlighting the general themes, assumptions, and methodologies used by sociocultural learning researchers, and on the gaps in theory that make it difficult to fully address issues of power and oppression.

2.     Critical pedagogy. Shirin Vossoughi (Northwestern University) and Kris Gutierrez (University of California, Berkeley)

3.     Critical poststructural theory. Niral Shah (Michigan State University) and Zeus Leonardo (University of California, Berkeley)

4.     Queer theory. Jacob McWilliams (University of Colorado, Boulder) and William Penuel, (University of Colorado, Boulder).

5.     Indigenous worldviews. Megan Bang (University of Washington)

7.     Critical disability studies. Peter Smagorinsky (University of Georgia), Michael Cole (University of California, San Diego) and Lucia Braga

8.     Critical race theory. Eileen Parsons (University of North Carolina)

9.  Towards a critical, cultural, historical, theory of learning. Indigo Esmonde (University of Toronto) and Angela Booker (University of California, San Diego)

The chapters in the body of the book will each address a single theory from a critical tradition. These critical theory chapters will answer the following questions:
- What is this a theory of? What is it trying to explain? What is the (disciplinary) history of this theory?
- What are the key themes, assumptions, or conceptual frameworks of this theory?
- What methodologies are predominantly used?

  *   How does this theory interface with sociocultural/cultural-historical theories of learning? What points of connection are there? What disconnects are there? How would SCT have to change to take this theory into account? (How does SCT help the theory develop?)

All the best,
Indigo

--
Indigo Esmonde, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Chair, Graduate Studies, Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning