[Xmca-l] Blackface/gayface

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Mon Apr 25 08:03:12 PDT 2016

I was in south Africa recently and while there, many people were derisively referring to this brother (mmusi maimane) as the south African Barack obama:
Watch "Mmusi Maimane: 'Fighting a system, not a race' - Talk to Al Jazeera" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/wW5WAloRnMQ
It appeared to me, and I am speculating here, that arguments around racial identity in south Africa seems to parallel the pathological-pathogenic and adaptive-vitality debates of the 1970s and 80s of america.  Maimane is not so-called black because he is western educated, and adopt the mannerisms of whites like Barack I was told.  Hence there is a juxtaposition taking place between blacks who are western educated and those who grow up as part of the black underclass in south africa.... is this how south Africa is defining black identity?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone