[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Verizon's greed

Wilkinson vwilk@inf.shizuoka.ac.jp
Sun Apr 24 20:13:21 PDT 2016

Life in the present mode of existence, being.
Hello, dear Xmca-er colleagues.

I'm checking in as a woman scholar voice doing research in General
Systems Theory.  Once I was just at the beginning and now nearly the end
of my institutional career.  In Japan.  A National University.
I live in an educational world where the children have been taught that
the nail that sticks out gets beaten down.

As a systems theorist, at the level of self, group, community - living
systems naturally seek equilibrium.  So why would I vote or not vote for
Sanders?  Why would I vote or not vote for Hilary?

40 years of teaching languages, Latin, Greek, English, has been to make
my living.  What I love and want to talk about is how to create a great
team, produce a film, coordinate a satisfactory project, with the young
ones who are enacting the managerial roles having the full support of
the community of adults, both in and out of the academy.  Moreover,
peer-learning, which appears essential, and has so appeared to me since
I was seven, "teaching" my one year younger brother how to read my first
English primer.

Time and again Andy, Larry, and Mike have responded lucidly and kindly
to my flashing dives into the stream.  I feel that Andy's "project" as
mode/method/focus for the self, the team, and the community is coherent,
articulate, manageable.  So if I fear and dread recursions of 30s
horrors, world depression, anti-union, the ghastly shape of Nazism
appearing, the shape of Joseph McCarthy's witch-hunts, it's not going to
help much with my projects of today, this week, etc.

But coming back again and again to the present, the projects I am doing
now, this week, this month, working out how to stay in contact with the
players, get announcements out to the community, well, that is quite
enough for me to do.  Since the kids are grown up and don't need me so
much, I have to encourage young students to join clubs, have meetings,
plan events.  Just have to stay busy ...

But always coming back to General Systems Theory, and moving with the
present, as a woman/mother/lover/teacher/faculty
member/participant-observer, I value the exquisite mind of Ross Ashby
and "requisite variety," which is what a viable system needs to survive,
an environment which draws out the creative, which satisfies the hunger.
  Permeable membranes and interface is how I see the interaction of
nations and communities and teams and people and families and the cells
in the body maintaining health.

It is hard for me to check in or dive in with a word, but XMCA continues
to be the best forum for my serendipities and synchronicities and
reading of the news.  I'm still a GST person and keep my eye on Ervin
Laszlow and the Budapest Club for international cooperative ventures in
sustainable business, a benign transition to an age of ultra-technology,
in which human communities can create harmonious dwellings,
environmentally friendly renewable energy and so on.  I live in Japan
and my brother's family members live in Germany.  Living in the present
does not mean just today.  I see that it means progressing toward better
education, better health, better food supply.  I still want to pay
attention to Japan and Germany - and where ever people have learned that
wholesome, calm work places, educational opportunities and intrinsic
development, taking it easy and taking it slow, are altogether so much
better than war, war, bombs, and military/industrial complex money blah,
messing up the academy, truncating creativity, killing joyful work
places. (But now I see that I am standing on a box in a park instead of
getting on with my projects for today).
Vandy