[Xmca-l] Re: Why I Won't Vote for Sanders

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Apr 24 13:46:02 PDT 2016

Hello Paul,

I was wondering when you would join the fray. :)

I'm not sure what is your definition of "identity politics". Maybe you can enlighten me on that. I'm also not sure what to make of "practical consciousness", as to me a person is either aware or not aware or somewhat aware of something. In other words, to me, consciousness can have no adjective, because all things that have qualities are inside consciousness, not outside of it. Awareness on the other hand, is a human experience that has to do with a quality of mind, how it reflects its context, and certainly people can and do identify themselves based upon those qualities are present (reflecting) in their minds.

With that in mind, I'd say identity politics just means standing up for yourself even if you are different from others. Difference of course is an amorphous thing to define, since it's always up for grabs what difference means, but it does seem to depend upon context and who is calling who "different."

What is amazing to me is that each human being is a unique individual, genetically, culturally, psychologically, etc. and yet we tend to "identify" with others whom we feel a being-at-home. How that comes to be is also quite unique.

As far as the determination that barak and hillary are actually white-men, I can find some agreement with that, but I'd ask why they have to partake in that identity. Likely, because of neoliberal requirements of the gatekeepers in this political milieu we find ourselves.

Despite that, I think that most African Americans would rather have barak than mitt, and I think most women would rather have hillary than trump.

Examination of critical theorists you mention and how they overlap CHAT is a worthwhile venture, don't you think? Have you got any texts you can recommend by Nancy Fraser and Frantz Fanon that we might read?

Might help in creating a moment of understanding?

Kind regards,

Annalisa