[Xmca-l] Re: Collaboration

Christopher Schuck schuckthemonkey@gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:03:29 PDT 2016

That's really helpful Annalisa, thank you. I totally agree that
first-person (possibly emotionally risky) accounts are necessary if we are
to truly deal with the problematic aspects of mansplaining or any other
apparent pattern of discourse that functions to oppress or dominate.

I want to clarify for everyone, very quickly, that my suggesting that
written conversation can be more psychologically safe in certain ways was
intended more as an initial lead-in for extending the earlier conversation
to include issues surrounding written discourse, not any kind of overall
opinion about whether it is "better" in this regard. When I question "the
degree to which these [problematic, whether gendered or not] dynamics
remain the same...for worse or better," I am saying that I'm honestly *not
sure* what is gained and lost for any particular individual, what ends up
being more and less restrictive. I was partly thinking of the Virginia
Woolf example and how writing can sometimes provide a "room of one's own"
where speaking is suppressed, but that perhaps this comes with a certain
price as well. I was also thinking of my own experience, how writing has
felt both more psychologically safe (because I can micromanage my side of
the conversation and don't need to worry about the mechanics of timing and
voice clarity, which has been a big barrier for me in groups), and less
safe (because once you've written something, it's out there in stone to be
picked apart). With respect to gendered discourse in different venues, I
was actually writing the last post with a personal example in mind, which
ironically I had opted not to include because I was afraid of going on too
long. Maybe I'll throw it in now.

I have been struck by how, if I am conversing online with someone I know is
female, her written speech *looks *more female: the colors associated with
various words might have more "girl" colors, the shape of the words feels
different somehow. At the same time, any female voice following along in my
head is more of an underlying echo/double exposure lacking the physical
presence of someone speaking with me face-to-face, and it's easier to focus
on the content of written words and abstract away from gender. But it's
also easier to abstract whatever "femaleness" I do still perceive in a way
that further distorts and stereotypes it, since I don't have the reality of
the actual person standing before me to help ground the interaction. And
then there's my own voice talking back, which makes me feel "male" in a
different kind of way writing than when I'm speaking and listening to my
own voice. So there's all sorts of stuff going on in written conversation
with males and females, impacting me and leading me to impact others in
ways that are very different from how this plays out in spoken
conversation. Am I embarrassed to admit I sometimes see girl colors? A
little. Is gender the only way to frame what I'm experiencing? Of course
not. But it's not irrelevant either. As for how these associations affect
the way I actually treat others in conversation - I'll need to think more
about that (or have someone else tell me!).

I guess I wanted to introduce the speaking vs. writing issue because we
are, after all, talking about all of this online.

Best, Chris