[Xmca-l] Re: Collaboration

Christopher Schuck schuckthemonkey@gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:24:52 PDT 2016

"I consider cooperation to mean that there is sacrifice involved if
conflict arises, specifically I mean in the sense of accommodation."

That's exactly what I was trying to get at earlier, in questioning minimal
differences as a defining feature of cooperation. Thanks for this extremely
helpful synposis, Annalisa!

"I do think we've identified a possible need for a different word than
"conflict" though, for its negative or adversarial connotation....How about
"negotiation"? would that be a better word than "conflict"? Negotiation
coincides with cooperation and collaboration."

Negotiation strikes me as one particular expression of cooperation that
emphasizes the transactional (dialectical?) back-and-forth, specifically
discursive/conversational process often required. So it's a great example
for clarifying what cooperation is, but maybe it's narrower? That is,
negotiation is focused on the terms and conditions (also points of
similarity and difference) around which people are coming closer together.
through dialogue. Or to put it another way: negotiation speaks to the
discovery process involved in *finding a way* to come closer together,
whereas cooperation refers more broadly to the goal of working together and
need not include dialogue. This brings up another tricky concept that I
didn't notice Annalisa mentioning: "agreement."

I also wanted to just quickly point out, though this may already be obvious
to everyone, that conflict hardly always implies competition, nor does
competition necessarily imply conflict ("good sportsmanship" could be an
example of the latter).

Chris