[Xmca-l] Re: Collaboration

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Tue Apr 19 12:20:54 PDT 2016

Hi Michael, I share your concern. And I am sure many in this list too, and many researchers in traditions associated to xmca seem to agree too... There must then be some mechanism that, despite this considerably widespread awareness of the problem and the need to change, it is still possible for educational policy and implementation to continue without there being much substantial discussion about the kind of society/personalities schooling assumes and generates, of there  not being many such discussions in our academic presentations, publications, parent-teacher meetings... Rod's comment on collusion and its historical (non-)use may be part of the explanation, the type of discourses there being at work. Perhaps change is slower than we wish it to be (though certainly things are different now that when I went to school in Spain in the 80's, and that's not a lot of time), or we should not wait too long for evolution to continue and try to make more of a revolution...

You mention artifacts in your note, and I know you specify them as part of a larger system of co-evolution. It seems to be the case, however, that the very focus on artifacts to the detriment of the operations may be at the heart of the problem. Andy was already pointing to the fact that the current state of affairs consists in first conceiving students as separated individuals, and then creating (from the outside) artifacts for supporting them in collaborating, as if those artifacts were to do the trick of putting them back together... Some may then say that artifacts then "mediate" between the different students so that something intersubjective emerges... But if what allows people to stick together is not the artifacts themselves, but what Larry calls shared attention (taking "attention" here to be something of psychological import, not just a "lower function" or component of the person but as a dispositional character that involves a multi-functional organization, and something that always includes some materials from the environment), then it is the process of using tools, the subjective-generating processes, what are of interest. Anyway, this is just to add more words to what you were already saying. But if the shift in (educational, assessment) practice has to do with a shift in the discourse, then I think finding ways of talking about collaboration where the primacy of the joint attention within places (to use Larry's formulation) is made patent and not confused may be part of the (revolutionary) solution. This is a very fascinating topic!

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Glassman, Michael <glassman.13@osu.edu>
Sent: 19 April 2016 20:33
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Collaboration

Hi Alfredo,

At the end of Tomasello's article he seems to be arguing for some akin to co-evolution.  That we develop artifacts that lead us toward cooperation/collaboration, but that the development of these artifacts are a product of collaboration.  The artifacts push us forward to collaboration.  The collaboration pushes us forward to create artifacts.  Part I think of what he calls Vygotskian intelligence.  The role of education then is to lead us into scenarios of this co-evolution, or "boot-strapping."  Should we even be concerned with individual characteristics then, outside of the fact that they are part of what makes us human.  This is what worries me about the PISA framework.  Is it actually antithetical to a more collaborative society.

Michael