[Xmca-l] Re: Collaboration

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:32:27 PDT 2016

I can find few to no instances where work and activity are not done
collaboratively, in terms of work with others.

It seems much of this discussion centers around work we choose to do, work
we have to do, and choosing to do this work while playing well with others.

So if conflict is central to collaboration it would therefore have to be
central to work.

Centering success and change as the result of conflict has never sat well
with me. Seems rooted in a male dominant discourse or view on the world.

Maybe its cooperation before conflict. Could those be the poles of
collaboration?

I am not a fan of measuring collaboration (even though my first real
publication was on the development of these instruments). Especially as
Lemke et al shared the recent assessment piece. Collaboration and the rest
of the so called 21st century skills are better measured and developed in
the spaces of learning rather than the learner.

And these spaces must include the digital. I agree that there are resources
wasted on edtech under the banner of collaboration.

Yet I have seen and am a member of many open educational communities who
harness a collective knowledge base that was never before possible due to
limits of time and distance...including this listserv.

So collaboration... I like that, but testing collaboration. No,  that
sounds stupid.