[Xmca-l] Re: Brandom Extended

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 14:44:23 PDT 2016

Larry:

It wasn't my metaphor, actually: it was Brandom's. Here's the context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJXibuBSotc

Brandom (not to be confused with Richard Bransom!) is pretty dense for me;
I found it easier to print out Brandom's speech and read it:

 http://lms.ff.uhk.cz/pool/download_14.pdf

But that misses out on the Q & A which would also be worth reading. My
complaint is that it's all a little bloodless: it doesn't give me the sense
that cities are full of struggle, and that even the disagreements we have
about what things are thus and so and why, the things which Brandom claims
are "downtown", are often, when we look more closely, about how things WILL
be or SHOULD be rather than how they actually are, and involve conflicts of
material interests. It seems to me that if you want to get from the suburbs
to downtown, that is the way to go. Brandom's "downtown" is really an ivory
tower; a material walled city. Mine is more like the "downtown" of that
moped song:

She has her arms around your waist
With a balance that could keep us safe
Downtown, downtown

It's all about getting from the suburbs (that is, the areas where language
and non-language exists side by side, as in everyday conversation) into the
downtown of language (where one is confronted by pure text, as in the case
of this 'discussion' list) and back to the burbs, safely, and with the
least possible expenditure of intellectual resources on the means of
transportation so that you can expend at least some of that energy on your
companions.

And that brings me to your quote. As you can see, I'm really a painter and
not an intellectual at all: I find it very hard to think in abstractions,
and I can't even figure out the grammar of the first sentence: "Arguments
for relativism and sometimes transcendental idealism often make the
mistake, the mistake of thinking of thought or horizons of sense or modes
of sense-making or conceptual schemes in this third person way *as if*
something one can get trapped inside of unless something exogenous can
*break* through it."

This is the kind of thing that slows me down, Larry; when philosophers talk
about language they really make no more sense than when linguists talk
about philosophy. What does it mean to think of modes of sense making '"as
if" (it is?) something one can get trapped inside of'? Isn't making sense
precisely NOT being trapped inside of the mode of sense making? How can you
make sense WITHOUT breaking  through to something or somebody "exogenous"
(presumably this means exogenous to language, although it's pretty hard to
tell)!

Ruqaiya Hasan argues a lot for an "internal" view of language, where
meaning is essentially within language itself and not a relation with
material reality, including sapient minds and sentient meat. This
internalist view too is a walled city to me; I can see no gate to its
downtown that isn't triply portcullised. It is like saying that the meaning
of a painting is in the paint (Jackson Pollack might have thought that was
true, but he is dead and his paintings are now selling for millions of
dollars to people who appear to completely disagree).

I think I prefer to think of language as a moped, a means of communication
that you can pedal (as when we use language in an ancillary way, to access
goods and services which are not irreducibly language) or which pedals
itself (as when we use language to exchange 'information' in the form of
more language). Sure, most of us will use the motor most of the time;
that's what modernity means these days, and besides that's the only way to
access MY downtown, which is not how things are but rather how they would
be and how they could be and how they should be. But it would
nevertheless be a mistake to assume that the motor is all there is, because
then there's no way to start the damn thing up.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University