[Xmca-l] Fwd: CSA Newsletter - April 2016 Edition

Dr. Paul C. Mocombe pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Tue Apr 12 12:38:36 PDT 2016

Fyi...

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: newseditor@caribbeanstudiesassociation.org
Date: 4/12/2016  12:29 AM  (GMT-05:00)
To: pmocombe@mocombeian.com
Subject: CSA Newsletter - April 2016 Edition

The Official Newsletter of the Caribbean Studies Association

CSA Executive Council, 2015-2016

 President:
 Carole Boyce-Davies
 Cornell University

 Vice President:
 Keithley Woolward
 College of The Bahamas

 Immediate Past CSA President:
 Jan DeCosmo
 Florida A&M University

 Treasurer:
 Dwaine Plaza
 Oregon State University

 Secretary:
 Mala Jokhan
 University of the West Indies, St. Augustine

 Editor, Newsletter:
 Meagan Sylvester
 University of the West Indies, St. Augustine

 Student Representative:
 Lauren Pragg
 York University

 Executive Council

Michael Barnett
Vilma Diaz
Karen Flynn
Terry-Ann Jones
Heather Russell

 Join/Renew Membership

 Please join CSA if you are not a member or if you have not paid your dues for 2015.  You may also make a donation to CSA - all donations go directly to our programs.

 » JOIN TODAY
 » UPDATE MEMBER INFO.

 CSA CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS

Secondary Hotels

We have made arrangements for reasonable rates with two hotels.  We will arrange daily shuttles for CSA conference attendees (only in the morning and evening) from these two hotels.

1. Le Plaza,  is a beautiful hotel in the heart of Port-au-Prince. Please note that this hotel is about 15-20 minutes drive from the conference hotel/site, and with morning/evening traffic, it could take much longer.

2. The Royal Oasis, Petionville - with reasonable rates and many more double rooms made available to CSA.

Bed & Breakfast

Pension Esther Bed & Breakfast/Cafe is located in a a quaint, welcoming, green, and eco-conscious environment.

CLICK HERE for details

-------------------------

Airport Shuttles

Marriott and Plaza (Airport welcome and transportation being arranged by LOC)
Best Western: to and from airport at $11.00 per person each way for a group of 7 guests ($77.00) at a time to get this special rate.
Royal Oasis ($10.00 RT to and from airport, must be booked with hotel reservation)

CLICK HERE for details

-------------------------

Notice to All Students

All persons who have registered at the student rate are required to present a valid student ID at the registration desk in order to collect their conference package.

 CALL FOR PAPERS

Revista Cuadernos de Literatura del Caribe e Hispanoamérica
Richard E. Greenleaf Library Fellowships
The Southern Quarterly: A Journal of Arts & Letters in the South
Global Migration: Rethinking Skills, Knowledge and Culture

NEW SCHOLARSHIP

Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography

This summer (June 1, 2016) the Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography (Oxford University Press) will be on the shelves. This is the third biography collection published by OUP that focuses on people of African descent, and it is a project that will continue to grow online as part of the Hutchins Center for African & African American Research (W. E. B. Du Bois Research Institute at Harvard University). The volumes are now available for pre-ordering and will ship on May 2, 2016.

CLICK HERE for details

-------------------------

Reading by Olive Senior - Available on dLOC

We would like to share the video of a special reading by Olive Senior with you.  Olive is a distinguished Jamaican poet, novelist, short story and non-fiction writer.  In this reading she discusses her book, Dying to Better Themselves: West Indians and the Construction of the Panama Canal.

CLICK HERE to view the video

Issue:  April 2016
NEW CSA CONFERENCE LOGO
Join us in celebrating the arrival of a new conference logo, an artistic representation by Philippe Dodard of our conference theme:  Caribbean Global Movements. Philippe Dodard who is a leading Haitian artist, Director of ENARTS and one of our Local Organizing Committee co-chairs, is  the artist on whose work the logo which we used initially was based. He has designed a new logo for this year’s CSA-Haiti 2016 conference.  The design layout of the conference banner was created by Haitian graphic artist Archangelo Celestin who works with the Department of Communications in Haiti which will create airport welcome banners and street flags with this image.
Please note as well that we have added Papimento in the languaging of the conference logo for the first time so that we have another representative Caribbean language ensuring the Dutch-speaking Caribbean is included, thanks to Guido Roger. The last logo was a portion of a mural at the Karibe Hotel which was the originally proposed site of the conference until it was pre-booked ahead of us by another organization. You will get a chance to see that full piece of art anyway since we will do our Cultural Night at the Karibe.  Thank you Philippe Dodard for this new logo which will be available to members as the Conference Poster which is normally included in the  conference  bags.

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

Carole Boyce-Davies

OPENING ALL THE GATES
There is a vodou chant which travelled with African diasporic people to the Caribbean and which has become a familiar trope in the works of many of poets, artists, novelists, essayists. This is Paule Marshall’s version, used as well as larger thematizing of  Praisesong for the Widow (1983):

Papa Legba, ouvri barrière pou’ mwê – Vodun Introit, Haiti (p. 148).

Indeed we are at the implementation phase in the delivery of our Caribbean Studies Association Conference for 2016 and being held in Haiti, we pay respects and ask for smooth passage from the gods of the crossing.

On a recent pre-conference site visit to Haiti last week, arriving in what was Holy Thursday,  Port au Prince was buzzing with activity.  I arrived at the same time as the soccer team from Panama which was scheduled to play a game against Haiti a couple days later. The next day,  from my window in the Marriott Hotel,  I could see thousands doing a traditional “churchical” Good Friday procession.   But by that evening, rara, the costumed street music moving festivals which still carry resistance in their history and presence, was everywhere.  A beautiful day trip from Port au Prince, through the beautiful Haitian countryside bordered by amazing mountainscapes, to Jacmel,  on Saturday encountered at least 4 rara groups in each direction. I was told that they travel from village to village all night,  resting during the day, some not returning home until after the season ends.

Political machinations though remained in the background as a second nominated prime minister was confirmed and a new interim government was put in place.  Many breathed a sigh of relief that at least there is a government in place. Still visible signs of large campaign posters remind that this is an interim government and another election will have to be organized. The assumption is that this government will be in place through our conference. But for the moment, new ministers and their assistants were easily encountered at the Marriott.  All offered full support whenever we met them for the CSA-Haiti 2016 conference and were excited that we were bringing about 800 people (the number of papers submitted) to Haiti. While the first nominated Prime Minister, the well-respected, Fritz Jean was not confirmed, some say because he was of the same party as the President, we look forward to his presentation on one of our opening plenary sessions at the conference.  He has confirmed his presence and this promises to be an event that many look forward to as his theory of economic development of Haiti is well respected and will be the basis of his forthcoming publication.

Our Program Chairs have worked feverishly to have a draft program ready and on line as scheduled. This year, we have designed a new format with “Themed Opening Sessions” featuring leading scholars every day, as opposed to empty rooms with a few graduate students presenting early in the morning.  We want to use the space efficiently.  So these will be followed throughout each day by panels, literary salons, film and performance tracks. And on Saturday we are having for the first time an extra conference day, dedicated to Education to which over 200 Haitian teachers will be invited.  We have actually exhausted the Marriott space and are locating additional rooms for conference presentations in the surrounding community and have found some good possibilities.

Meanwhile, our Local Organizing Committee,  chaired by Mme Pierre-Louis and two co-Chairs, Philippe Dodard (Logistics) and Jhon Byron Picard (academic coordination),  is energized and has moved to implementation mode.    (Photo below). They plan with the various relevant ministries to have a nice welcome to Haiti for all conferees and their guests.  Remember the hotels are giving us the conference rate for the weekend before and after the conference.  So if you have never been to Haiti, we will have some local touring companies available so that you can book day trips to Jacmel or even a longer trip to the Cap Haitien and the Citadelle.

Basically our conference is creating more buzz, or as much buzz, as CARIFESTA which was held in Haiti last August and indeed we have a larger number of participants from abroad as our community is fully international. There is quite a lot of interest as well from local audience.

We have confirmed Dany LaFerrière, Haitian writer and now member of the French Academy, for our opening event.  Gloria Rolando from Cuba will attend the conference and show her latest film “Reembarque.”  And we have confirmed the famous racine group Boukman Eksperyans for the Banquet and closing fete.

There are 2 new hotels to choose from if you have not yet reserved a room. Both of them have airport shuttles.  The Royal Oasis and the Best Western are both in Petionville and have airport shuttles which you can reserve when you make your reservation. We will provide shuttle service from The Oasis and The Plaza to the Marriott mornings and evenings and for special events. They have given us good conference rates.  The Oasis has many double rooms available for sharing. See our website conference page under Hotel Accomodation for details. And please make your reservations early as these rooms are also being taken pretty quickly and like the Marriott will be soon filled to capacity.

We will also have an art exhibition and a roundtable discussion and an evening open to visit the newly refurbished Gingerbread Houses, sponsored by FOKAL, one of our main conference partners. Our Cultural Night sponsored by FOKAL will be at the Karibe Hotel in Petionville featuring Jean Rene Delsion Dance Company and some Rara and a promised good cultural experience.  This is organized as a joint event with ACURIL which has its conference at the same time as ours. The LOC is working on having an arts and crafts village at the Marriott every day and our Haitian fashion and design expo featuring Haitian textiles and accents is being prepared.
CSA-Haiti2016 is getting ready for the road.

Carole Boyce Davies
CSA President 2015-2016

Español
ABRIMOS TODAS LAS PUERTAS
Hay un canto vudú que viajó con la diáspora africana al Caribe y se ha convertido en un tropo familiar en las obras de muchos poetas, artistas, novelistas, ensayistas. Esta es la versión de Paule Marshall, utilizada ampliamente como tema de Praisesong for the Widow (1983):
Papa Legba, ouvri barrière pou’ mwê – Vodun Introit, Haiti (p. 148).
Nos encontramos en la fase de implementación para celebrar nuestra Conferencia 2016 de la Asociación de Estudios del Caribe, y ya que la celebraremos en Haití, presentamos nuestros respetos y pedimos a los dioses del cruce y la travesía un paso tranquilo.
Durante una reciente visita pre-conferencia a Haití la semana pasada, arribando en Jueves Santo, Puerto Príncipe bullía de actividad. Llegué al mismo tiempo que el equipo de fútbol de Panamá, cuyos integrantes jugarían un partido contra Haití unos días después. Al día siguiente, desde mi ventana en el Hotel Marriott, pude ver miles de personas en la tradicional procesión religiosa de Viernes Santo. Pero durante la tarde, Rara, los acostumbrados festivales itinerantes de música callejera que aún llevan la resistencia en su historia y presencia, estaban en todas partes. Durante un hermoso día de paseo por Puerto Príncipe el sábado ─del hermoso campo haitiano, enmarcado por la increíble vista de montañas, a Jacmel─ encontré por lo menos 4 grupos Rara en cada dirección. Me dijeron que viajan de pueblo en pueblo durante la noche, y descansan en el día, que algunos no regresan a casa hasta que la temporada termina.
Sin embargo, las manipulaciones políticas siguen en el trasfondo, pues un segundo primer ministro nominado fue confirmado y se instaló un nuevo gobierno. Se puede suspirar de alivio de que al menos hay un gobierno. No obstante, los posters, signos visibles de una campaña mayor, nos recuerdan que este es sólo un gobierno interino y que tendrá que organizarse otra elección. El supuesto es que este gobierno se mantendrá durante nuestra conferencia. Por el momento, los nuevos ministros y sus asistentes fueron muy accesibles durante nuestro encuentro en el Marriott. Todos ellos ofrecieron apoyo completo en cada ocasión en que nos reunimos para hablar sobre la Conferencia CSA (AEC)-Haití 2016, y estaban emocionados de que traeremos a Haití alrededor de 800 personas (el número de propuestas recibidas). Aunque el primer Primer Ministro nominado, el muy respetado Fritz Jean, no ha sido confirmado ─algunos dicen que la razón es que pertenece al mismo partido que el Presidente─, esperamos con ansia su presentación en una de nuestras sesiones plenarias de apertura en la conferencia. Ha confirmado su asistencia, y este promete ser un evento que muchos están esperando, pues su teoría de desarrollo económico de Haití es muy respetada y será la base de su próxima publicación.
Nuestras Co-Directoras del Programa trabajan arduamente para tener listo y en línea el borrador del programa en los próximos días. Este año hemos diseñado un nuevo formato en el que contaremos todos los días con “Sesiones de Apertura Temáticas”, a cargo de académicos expertos, en vez de tener habitaciones vacías con algunos estudiantes de grado presentando sus propuestas temprano por la mañana. Queremos usar el espacio eficientemente. A estas sesiones, seguirán cada día mesas panel, salones literarios, presentaciones de filmes y artes escénicas. Y el sábado tendremos, por primera vez, un día extra de conferencia, dedicado a la Educación y en el que estarán como invitados 200 profesores haitianos. Hemos agotado verdaderamente el uso del espacio en el Marriott y estamos localizando habitaciones adicionales en la comunidad circundante para las presentaciones de la conferencia; hemos encontrado muy buenas opciones.
Mientras tanto, nuestro Comité Local, dirigido por Mme Pierre-Louis y dos Co-Directores, Phillipe Dodard (Logística) y Jhon Byron Picard (Coordinación Académica), está lleno de energía y ha comenzado la fase de implementación (ver abajo la fotografía). Junto con varios de los ministerios relevantes, están planeado una cálida bienvenida a Haití para todos los conferencistas y sus invitados. Recuerden que el hotel está ofreciéndonos una tarifa especial por la conferencia el fin de semana anterior y posterior a esta. Así que si nunca han estado en Haití, contaremos con la disponibilidad de algunas agencias de turismo locales para que puedan planear un paseo a Jacmel, o incluso uno más largo a Cap Haitien y la Citadelle.
Nuestra conferencia está creando tanta o más excitación como CARIFESTA, que se celebró en Haití en junio pasado, y de hecho contamos con un mayor número de participantes del extranjero, pues nuestra comunidad es totalmente internacional. También hay mucho interés por parte de la audiencia local.
Hemos confirmado a Dany LaFerrière, escritor haitiano y ahora miembro de la Academia Francesa, para nuestro evento de apertura. Gloria Rolando de Cuba asistirá a la conferencia y presentará su última cinta “Reembarque”. Y hemos confirmado al famoso grupo rasin Boukman Eksperyans para el Banquete y fiesta de clausura.
Hay dos nuevos hoteles para elegir en caso de que no hayan reservado aún. Ambos cuentan con servicios de enlace (shuttles) al aeropuerto. The Royal Oasis y el Best Western se encuentran ambos en Petionville y cuentan con servicios de enlace al aeropuerto que pueden reservar al momento de hacer la reserva de la habitación. Tendremos shuttles disponibles en el Royal Oasis y el Marriott por las mañanas y las tardes. Nos han ofrecido tarifas especiales por la conferencia. El Royal Oasis cuenta con varias habitaciones dobles disponibles para compartir. Pueden revisar los detalles en nuestro sitio web, en la pestaña Hospedaje. Reserven sus habitaciones lo más pronto posible, pues las habitaciones disponibles reducen en número rápidamente y el hotel estará, como el Marriott, completamente lleno.
Tendremos también una exhibición de arte y una discusión en mesa redond,a y una tarde libre para visitar las Casas de Jengibre recientemente redecoradas, patrocinadas por FOKAL, uno de nuestros socios principales en la conferencia. Nuestra Noche Culural patrocinada por FOKAL será en el Hotel Karibe en Petionville, y contará con la presencia de la Compañía de Danza Jean Rene Delsion, algo de música Rara y una excelente experiencia cultural garantizada. Este es un evento organizado en conjunto con ACURIL, que celebrará su conferencia al mismo tiempo que nosotros. Estamos trabajando para tener artesanías en el Marriott todos los días, y nuestra exposición de Moda y Diseño Haitianos está siendo preparada.
CSA (AEC)-Haití 2016 está casi lista para ponerse en marcha.

Carole Boyce Davies
Presidenta de la CSA (AEC) 2015-2016

Français
OUVRONS TOUTES LES PORTES!
Il y a un chant vaudou qui a voyagé avec la diaspora africaine vers la Caraïbe et qui est devenu un trope familier dans le travail de nombreux poètes, artistes, romanciers, essayistes.  C´est la version de Paul Marshall utilisée aussi bien pour thématiser Praisesong for the Widow (1983):
Papa Legba, ouvri barrière pou’ mwê – Vodun Introit, Haiti (p. 148).
En effet, nous sommes  dans la phase de mise en œuvre du lancement de la conférence de 2016 de l’Association d´Etudes Caribéennes  qui se tiendra à Haïti, nous rendons hommage et demandons une traversée en douceur de la part des dieux.
Lors d’une récente visite préparatoire à la conférence à Haïti, la semaine dernière, je suis arrivée le Jeudi-Saint, et Port-au-Prince grouillait d’activités. Je suis arrivée en même temps que l’équipe de football de Panama qui devait affronter l’équipe  d’Haïti  quelques jours plus tard. Le lendemain, depuis ma fenêtre de l’Hôtel Marriott, j’ai vu des milliers de personnes participer à une procession religieuse à l’occasion du Vendredi Saint. Mais, ce soir-là, Rara, le carnaval, dont la présence et l’histoire portent la Résistance, était partout. Samedi, une belle excursion au départ de Port au Prince à travers la belle campagne haïtienne, bordée de montagne, en direction de Jacmel, m’a permis de rencontrer au moins 4 groupes Rara, qui allaient un peu partout.  On m’a dit qu’ils allaient de village en village toute la nuit, se reposaient pendant la journée et que certains ne rentraient chez eux qu’à la fin de la saison.
Cependant, les machinations politiques restaient en arrière-plan, alors que la nomination d’un nouveau premier ministre était confirmée et un nouveau gouvernement mis en place. Des traces d’affiches d’une grande campagne nous rappellent qu’il s’agit d’un gouvernement provisoire et que d’autres élections seront bientôt organisées. Le nouveau gouvernement devrait être mis en place d’ici à notre conférence, mais pour l’instant, nous avons pu facilement rencontrer les nouveaux ministres et leurs assistants à l’Hôtel Marriott. Lorsque nous les avons rencontrés au sujet de la conférence de l’Association de Etudes Caribéennes – Haïti 2016, tous nous ont offert leur plus grand soutien et ont montré leur enthousiasme à l’idée de nous voir amener 800 personnes (nombre d’inscriptions) à Haïti. Alors que le premier ministre, le très respecté Fritz Jean, n’était pas encore nommé - certains disaient que c’était dû à son appartenance  au même parti que le président - nous attendons avec impatience sa présentation à l’une de nos séances plénières lors de la conférence. Il a confirmé sa présence et cela s’annonce comme un évènement très attendu puisque sa théorie du développement économique d’Haïti est très respectée et sera la base de sa publication à venir.
Nos responsables de programme travaillent activement pour préparer et mettre en ligne un programme préliminaire dans les prochains jours. Cette année, nous avons conçu un nouveau format avec chaque jour des « Sessions d’ouverture à thème » présentées par d’éminents universitaires, et non pas des jeunes diplômés qui feraient des présentations devant des salles vides tôt le matin. Nous voulons utiliser l’espace efficacement. Les sessions d’ouverture seront donc suivies chaque jour par des comités, des salons littéraires, des films et les prestations seront enregistrées.  Samedi, nous aurons, pour la première fois, une journée de conférence supplémentaire dédiée à l’éducation et à laquelle plus de 200 professeurs haïtiens seront conviés. Ayant épuisé toutes les salles du Marriott, nous recherchons de nouveaux locaux pour accueillir les présentations de la conférence dans les communautés environnante et avons trouvé quelques possibilités.
Simultanément, notre comité, présidé par Mme Pierre-Louis et ses deux co-présidents, Philippe Dodard (logistique), et Jhon Byron Picard (coordination académique) est dynamique et a lancé la mise en œuvre. (voir photo, ci-dessous). Ils prévoient avec les divers ministères concernés un accueil chaleureux à Haïti pour tous les conférenciers et leurs invités. Souvenez-vous que les hôtels nous feront bénéficier d’un « tarif conférence» pour les week-ends précédant et suivant l’évènement. Si vous n’êtes jamais allé à Haïti, nous aurons à notre disposition quelques sociétés locales de tourisme qui nous permettront de réserver des excursions à Jacmel, ou même des voyages plus longs jusqu’au Cap Haïtien et La Citadelle.
En fait, notre conférence fait plus de bruit, ou du moins tout autant, que CARIFESTA qui s’est tenu à Haïti en Juin dernier et en effet, nous avons plus de participants de l’étranger puisque notre communauté est totalement internationale. Le public local montre également beaucoup d’intérêt.
Nous avons eu la confirmation de Dany Laferrière, écrivain haïtien, et désormais membre de l’Académie Française pour la journée d’ouverture. Gloria Rolando, de Cuba assistera à la conférence. Son dernier film « Reembarque » sera projeté. Nous avons également confirmé la présence du célèbre groupe racine Boukman Esperyans pour le repas et la soirée de clôture.
Si vous n’avez pas encore réservé de chambre, vous avez le choix entre deux hôtels. Chacun est desservi par une navette depuis l’aéroport. Le Royal Oasis et le Best Western sont tous les deux à Petionville. Vous pouvez réserver la navette en même temps que vous réservez votre chambre. Nous mettrons en place des navettes depuis le Royal Oasis et le Marriott matins et soirs. Ils nous ont fait de bons « tarifs conférence ». Le Royal Oasis a de nombreuses chambres doubles disponibles à partager. Pour plus de détails, voir notre site web, sous l’onglet « conférence », la partie « hôtels ». Et s’il vous plaît, faites vos réservations rapidement puisque ces chambres seront très vite prises, tout comme le Marriott sera rapidement complet.
Il y aura également une exposition d’arts, une table ronde et une soirée pour visiter les maisons de style Gingerbread récemment rénovées, sponsorisée par FOKAL, un des principaux partenaires de la conférence. Notre nuit culturelle sponsorisée par FOKAL se déroulera dans le Karibe Hotel à Petionville avec la compagnie de danse Jean Rene Delsion Dance Company et nous promet une belle expérience culturelle. Cet événement sera organisé conjointement avec ACURIL qui donne sa conférence en même temps que la nôtre. Nous travaillons sur l’idée de villages d’arts et artisanat au Marriott tous les jours. Notre exposition de mode et design haïtiens mettant en vedette les textiles et accents haïtiens se prépare.
Le CSA-Haiti 2016 se met en route !

Carole Boyce Davies
Présidente de l´Association des Etudes Caribéennes (CSA) 2015-2016

MESSAGE FROM THE PROGRAM CHAIRS

Marie-Jose Nzengou-Tayo and Angelique V.
 Nixon

Report from CSA 2016 Program Co-Chairs

We are pleased to report that the Conference Program is online and ready for review.
This is a draft schedule and therefore subject to change in the coming weeks as we finalize the program for the print version. Announcements will be posted when any significant changes are made. But it is your responsibility to check for final times/dates and room assignments. Be reminded the conference starts early on Monday 6th June and ends on Saturday 11th June 2016.
We have done our best to accommodate all of your schedule requests. As we make adjustments and changes to the program, we ask for your patience. If there are any errors with your submission title, description, name, or affiliation, you will have an opportunity to make those edits in the system. Please be sure to check emails from the Program Chairs in the coming weeks for these updates.
Navigation TIPS for the Online Schedule:
There is no search option for names/panels. But it is very easy to scroll through either by list view or calendar view to find your panel/presentation. If you are part of a fully constituted panel, only the chair/submitter is listed under the panel title – to see all the speakers on your panel, click on second linked title directly above the chair/submitter's name. We suggest you start with the list view and then move to calendar view to get a sense of the entire week -- the full 6 days of CSA 2016! If there are any issues with your schedule or you don’t see your presentation listed, please email us as soon as possible at: program.chair@caribbeanstudiesassociation.org.
Hotel and Travel Updates and Conference Highlights:
As you may know, the main conference site hotel is fully booked. Please check the CSA website for additions to our Hotel Listings. We have two beautiful new hotels added to our secondary and recommended hotels. Be sure to review the offerings and amenities from Best Western and Oasis. These may be more comfortable and affordable in the end than Le Plaza. Also, please note that we are no longer recommending The Prince Hotel as that hotel is in great need of some renovations. If you have made a reservation there, we strongly recommend that you move to the Best Western or Oasis. See the website under “Conference Updates” and “Hotel Information” for more details.
Also, make note of the recommendations for Airport Transport on the website. It is extremely important to schedule airport transport ahead of time – especially for those traveling to Haiti for the first time. The Port-au-Prince airport can be difficult to navigate and so you are strongly advised to follow the recommendations.
As you make your travel plans, remember that the conference starts promptly at 8:30am on Monday 6th June. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to travel to Haiti on the 5th of June so we can all start the conference together. Be reminded that each day we have an opening session at 8:30am that will ground the conference and focus on specific themes. These are highlighted in the online program as “opening themed sessions” or “conference plenary.” Remember that the conference will be a full six days this year, thus the final day of the conference is Saturday 11th June. This final day is a new addition, an extra day, designed to focus on Education and Policy. This is an initiative of our CSA President that will feature a morning plenary session by experts on educational policy and a day of workshops designed for Haitian teachers and university students enrolled in teacher education programs and conferees interested in education in Haiti. We will also have some related concurrent panel sessions throughout the day.

We are thrilled to be featuring an exciting line up of special evening events, all through the vision of CSA President Carole Boyce Davies. These exciting events and speakers include: Dany Laferriere and performances by Gina Athena Ulysse and Michelle Grant-Murray for the Opening Ceremonies; A Conversation with Angela Davis on Thursday night followed by Haitian Textiles, Fashion, Wearable Art Expo hosted by Michel Chataigne; and for the CSA Night Awards and Banquet on Friday, we are thrilled to have Edwidge Danticat as our speaker. Finally on Saturday, we will have a special roundtable on “Art, Culture, Community and Economic Transcendence” featuring community workers and artists, including Eintou Pearl Springer and Phillippe Dodard, among others.

We ask that you continue checking the Conference Program Online as we finalize speakers, panels, special events, sessions, and room arrangements. Remember that information about the conference hotel, travel arrangements, and other updates are on the CSA website. As always, for all program-related inquiries, please contact us directly at: program.chair@caribbeanstudiesassociation.org.
We are looking forward to see you in Haiti for CSA 2016!
Marie-José Nzengou-Tayo
Angelique V. Nixon
Program Chairs, CSA 2015-2016
BOUKMAN EKSPERYANS FOR POST-BANQUET FETE
We are pleased to announce that we have contracted the Haitian “rasin”  group Boukman Eksperyans to play for our post banquet closing conference fete at the Marriott, Port-au-Prince on Friday June 10, 2016. According to their promotional material, the group is named after the famous Boukman Dutty who, in 1791, “at a ceremony in ‘Bwa kayiman’ united the rebel groups to launch the first great insurrection of the Haitian revolution which ended slavery and created the  nation of Haiti, the first black independent nation in the western hemisphere. The group was founded by Theodore “Lolo” Beaubrun, Jr. and his wife Mimerose “Manze” Beaubrun in 1978.   With politically engaged lyrics, Boukman Eksperyans presents musically a “palette of rhythms and incorporates different musical traditions of the Haitian peasantry  -- rara, peasant songs, songs of voudou rituals – but also rock, reggae, soukouss, funk, R&B and more recently Hip Hop.”  We are fortunate to have Boukman in Haiti for our conference for which they have postponed a concert in Liverpool,  England,  in order to welcome you to their home country.
CSA ELDERS
I would like to bring forward to the Executive Council for their consideration a new category of membership – CSA Elders. A category of this nature was suggested to me by retired CSA member Monica Gordon and was an issue raised recently by Lynette Lashley. Such a category of honor will provide a culturally-relevant context for continued participation for many of our retirees so that we do not lose their expertise, knowledge and numbers even as we advance new generation of scholars.  I propose that CSA Elders will receive:

A reduced membership and conference registration rate
Encouraged opportunities to organize roundtables/panels of their choice
Recognition at CSA Conference events
Partnering in the mentoring of younger scholars
An assigned number of travel grants

Please send me your comments so that I can have additional ideas from membership before it is discussed at the next CSA Executive Council Meeting.
Carole Boyce Davies
president@caribbeanstudiesassociation.org
MESSAGE FROM THE VICE PRESIDENT

Keithley Woolward

Gordon K. and Sybil Lewis Book Prize 2016 Long List
The Caribbean Studies Association (CSA) is pleased to announce the 2016 Gordon K.
and Sybil Lewis Book Award 2016 Long List. The GKSL Book Prize carries with it a monetary prize of $1000, thanks to the generous Lewis Family donation and its continuing support of the CSA.
Nominated manuscripts, in Spanish, English, French, or Dutch, comment on, critically engage and/or are products of the Caribbean region and its diaspora published over the previous year period (2015). The nominated book(s) should approach the chosen subject or aspect of Caribbean life, conditions and situations from an interdisciplinary perspective, and should clearly be shown to have regional impact.

This year we have received thirty six nominated manuscripts representing the rich disciplinarity and cultural diversity of the region[1]:
 Published in 2015

Giselle Liza Anatol, The Things that Fly in the Night: Female Vampires in Literature of the Circum-Caribbean and African Diaspora, Rutgers University Press, 2015.
Yarimar Bonilla, Non-Sovereign Futures: French Caribbean Politics in the Wake of Disenchantment, University of Chicago Press, 2015.
Jan Brokken, The Music of the Netherland Antilles: Why Eleven Antilleans Knelt before Chopin’s Heart (translated by Scott Rollins), University Press of Mississippi, 2015.
Tammy L. Brown, City of Islands: Caribbean Intellectuals in New York, University Press of Mississippi, 2015.
Rebecca M. Bodenheimer, Geographies of Cubanidad: Place, Race, and Musical Performance in Contemporary Cuba, University Press of Mississippi, 2015.
Guilia Bonacci (translated by Antoinette Alou), Exodus: Heirs and Pioneers, Rastafari Return to Ethiopia, University of West Indies Press, 2015.
Vibert C. Cambridge, Musical Life in Guyana: History and Politics of Controlling Creativity, University Press of Mississippi, 2015.
Marlene L. Daut, Tropics of Haiti: Race and Literary History of the Haitian Revolution in the Atlantic World 1789-1865, Liverpool University Press, 2015.
Aisha Beliso De Jesus, Electric Santería: Racial and Sexual Assemblages of Transnational Religion, Columbia University Press, 2015.
Nadia Ellis, Territories of the Soul: Queered Belonging in the Black Diaspora, Duke University Press, 2015.
Celine Flory, De l'esclavage à la liberté forcée. Histoire des travailleurs africains engagés dans la Caraïbe française au XIXème siècle, Karthala, 2015.
Armando García de la Torre, José Martí and the Global Origins of Cuban Independence, University of West Indies Press, 2015.
Guadalupe Garcia, Beyond the Walled City: Colonial Exclusion in Havana, University of California Press, 2015.
Isar P. Godreau, Scripts of Blackness: Race, Cultural Nationalism and U.S. Colonialism in Puerto Rico, University of Illinois Press, 2015.
Jenny M. Jemmot, Ties That Bind: The Black Family in Post-Slavery Jamaica (1834-1882), University of West Indies Press, 2015.
Aisha Khan (editor), Islam and The Americas, University Press of Florida, 2015.
John M. Kirk, Healthcare without Borders: Understanding Cuban Medical Internationalism, University Press of Florida, 2015.
Sarah Juliet Lauro, The Transatlantic Zombie: Slavery Rebellion and Living Death, Rutgers University Press, 2015.
Christopher Lee, Frantz Fanon: Toward A Revolutionary Humanism, Ohio University Press, 2015.
Natasha Lightfoot, Troubling Freedom: Antigua & the Aftermath of British Emancipation, Duke University Press, 2015.
Iraida H. López, Impossible Returns: Narratives of the Cuban Diaspora, University Press of Florida, 2015.
Anthony P. Maingot, Race, Ideology and the Decline of Caribbean Marxism, University Press of Florida, 2015.
Peter Manuel, Tales, Tunes and Tassa Drums: Retention and Invention in Indo-Caribbean Music, University of Illinois Press, 2015.
Martin Munro, Tropical Apocalypse: Haiti and the Caribbean End Times, University of Virginia Press, 2015.
Angelique V. Nixon, Resisting Paradise: Tourism, Diaspora and Sexuality in Caribbean Culture, University Press of Mississippi, 2015.
Leon D. Pamphile, Contrary Destinies: A Century of America’s Occupation, Deoccupation and Reoccupation of Haiti, University Press of Florida, 2015.
Marc D. Perry, Negro Soy Yo: Hip Hop and Raced Citizenship in Neoliberal Cuba, Duke University Press, 2015.
Alaí Reyes-Santos, Our Caribbean Kin: Race and Nation in the Neoliberal Antilles, Rutgers University Press, 2015.
Petra R. Rivera-Rideau, Remixing Reggaetón: The Cultural Politics of Race in Puerto Rico, Duke University Press, 2015.
Neil Roberts, Freedom As Marronage, University of Chicago Press, 2015.
Elena Machado Sáez, Market Aesthetics: The Purchase of the Past in Caribbean Diasporic Fiction, University of Virginia Press, 2015.
Jalane D. Schmidt, Cachita’s Streets: The Virgin of Charity, Race and The Revolution in Cuba, Duke University Press, 2015.
Maurice St Pierre, Eric Williams & The Anticolonial Tradition: Making of a Diasporan Intellectual, University of Virginia Press, 2015.
Krista A. Thompson, Shine: The Visual Economy of Light in African Diaspora Aesthetic Practice, Duke University Press, 2015.
Colleen A. Vasconcellos, Slavery, Childhood and Abolition in Jamaica (1788-1838), University of Georgia Press, 2015.
Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World, Duke University Press, 2015. Lewis R Gordon, What Fanon Said: A Philosophical to His Life and Thought, Fordham University Press, 2015.

The GSKL Book Prize Committee will publish the list of twelve finalists on May 13th, 2016. The winner will be announced at the annual Caribbean Studies Association Conference in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, June 5-11th 2016.
-------------------------------
[1] The nominated manuscripts are listed alphabetically by author last name.
-------------------------------
Keithley Woolward
Vice-President
Caribbean Studies Association (2015 – 2016)
MESSAGE FROM THE EDITOR

Meagan Sylvester

Just two months away! …and the countdown has begun to CSA 2016 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti!
Haitian music, art and culture
As part of the introduction to things Haitian we invite you to look forward to participating in art exhibits, fashion shows and a cultural night featuring a local dance troupe.

In this issue we tickle your senses with news about confirmations of participation from cultural scholars and creatives from Haiti and Cuba. Musically, we have secured entertainment from the popular Haitian group Boukman Esperyans who received a grammy nomination for their debut album Vodou Adjae. Check out the link below to sample a taste of what they have to offer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQvlMYABZRY
Accommodation
Given the overwhelming response to our call for papers, this conference promises to be well attended, so much so that we have had to add two new hotels to the accommodation options. Additionally, for your travel pleasure and comfort, we have made plans to ensure that there are airport shuttles to and from hotels. Reminder: keep abreast of conference updates on our website http://www.caribbeanstudiesassociation.org
New Feature

We are proposing a new feature in which we hope to focus attention on those who have built CSA over the years. The CSA Elders initiative hopes to provide a series of special facilities for our older CSA members. Honour for their contribution in shaping Caribbean Studies as a discipline and homage for their years of providing yeoman service to younger academics are amongst the contributions to be highlighted in our new monthly segment.
Language articles
As usual, our language articles bring to the fore issues affecting the Caribbean region of the Dutch, Spanish and French Caribbean and ensure that the indigenous languages of Martinican Creole and Papiamentu are given prominence for narrative expression as well as the mother tongues. Of particular note in this month’s Newsletter,  is the Spanish language article entitled “Miradas a las Relaciones Internacionales en el Caribe, a propósito de la visita de Barack Obama a Cuba” which treats with the immensely popular and poignant topic of US-Cuba relations following the recent trip by The President of The United States to Cuba. Consider the perspective from a native of Cuba!  The French article places focus on the “La Culture De La Banane Martiniquaise” in the French West Indian island and provides insights on this Caribbean agricultural debate from a native Martinican.
Graduate Student Corner
Our graduate student corner places focus on yet another graduate student testimonial of the graduate student experience, self care awareness tips and the critical import of academic mentors and life coaches along the road to success.

At the Caribbean Studies Association we believe that communication is key! As such, we enjoy hearing from, so keep your feedback constant. Please feel free to email the Newsletter Editor directly at newseditor@caribbeanstudiesassociation.org to share your views, comments and the good news of your academic success with us.

Meagan Sylvester
Newsletter Editor
Caribbean Studies Association

MESSAGE FROM THE LANGUAGE SUB-EDITORS

Hélène Zamor

Nouvèl (Martinican French Creole)

KILTI BANNAN MATINIK
Selon Pascal Marguerite[1], la banane viendrait de la Malaisie. Ce fruit savoureux appartient à la famille des musacées.  Marguerite précise qu’elle a été d’abord introduite dans l’île de Saint-Domingue vers 1516.  Par contre, elle a fait son apparition en Martinique en 1635. Au milieu du XVIIème siècle, le Père du Tertre, un agriculteur et missionnaire français différenciait entre les bananes figues et les bananiers.  Comme son compatriote, le Père Labat était agriculteur et missionnaire.  Il a séjourné en Martinique pendant  plusieurs années. Dans ses écrits, il a souligné la présence de deux variétés de bananes et une variété de figues. Cependant, le Père du Tertre a fait une description de la « banane corne » et la « banane créole ».
Aujourd’hui, on recense trois variétés botaniques à la Martinique.  Il s’agit alors de la Musa paradisiaca, M. Sapentium et M.Chinensis.  Cette classification a toutefois été critiquée par Monsieur Cheeseman[2].   Même s’il existe que ces trois variétés botaniques dans l’île, on peut signaler la présence de d’autres variétés comme les figues dites «figues dessert » ou « Makandia ». Les Martiniquais les apprécient pour leur saveur.  Les « Ti-nains » se mangent avec  de la morue «marinée » ou préparée en court-bouillon.  Parfois, on les consomme avec du poisson. Leur nom d’origine créole dérive du Français «les petites naines » car elles sont petites en taille mais riches en potassium.  Les oiseaux s’en régalent bien.  La « banane jaune » ou « plantain » se consomme en cuite à l’eau, frite ou en gratin.  Les mamans martiniquaises n’hésitent pas à donner régulièrement de la banane jaune à leur bébé.
En plus de ses usages multiples sur le plan culinaire, la banane présente des vertus médicinales exceptionnelles. Elle est riche en magnésium et en potassium.  Les Martiniquais ont recours à ce fruit pour traiter les troubles digestifs.  Avec les feuilles de la «banane puce », ils préparent un thé pour soigner les crises de foie. Ce fruit riche en vitamine B et B6 semble prévenir l’hypertension artérielle.

A partir des années 50, l’industrie bananière s’est progressivement développée au moment où l’industrie sucrière commençait à vaciller. On affirme que «La culture de la banane couvre 8.300 hectares et qu’elle représente 70 % des exportations de la Martinique »[3]. Les exportations se dirigent vers la France et l’Europe. Depuis son entrée dans la communauté européenne, la Martinique bénéficie de subventions malgré certaines difficultés.  Les exploitants agricoles ont fait face aux réformes de 2003 et aux dégâts causés par l’ouragan Dean en 2007. Cela n’empêche pas aux défenseurs du patrimoine martiniquais de mettre en place le musée de la Banane qui se situe dans la commune de Sainte-Marie.  Les touristes et les autochtones ont la possibilité de connaître les différentes variétés de bananes et déguster divers produits faits de bananes.
-------------------------------
[1] “Traces d’une histoire de la banane”. www.peda.ac-martinique.fr/histgeo/banane.shtml
[2] Professeur d’agriculture de Trinidad.  “Introduction à l’étude des variétés de bananiers à fruits comestibles de la Martinique
[3] “Bananeraie”. www.antilles-martinique.com/bananeraie.html
-------------------------------
Helene Zamor
French & Martinican Creole Language Sub-editor
CSA Newsletter

Vilma Diaz

Español

Miradas a las Relaciones Internacionales en el Caribe, a propósito de la visita de Barack Obama a Cuba.
Por: Vilma Díaz Cabrera
Nos encontramos nuevamente ante un capítulo –sobresaliente- de interconexión multidimensional en el Caribe. La distancia temporal y el papel que jugarán diferentes actores a lo largo del proceso, permitirán que historiadores, sociólogos, politólogos, etc. nos brinden profundos análisis sobre el impacto de la visita de Barack Obama a Cuba. Sin embargo, resulta imprescindible socializar  los primeros apuntes para enfocar una posible coyuntura histórica que marca, sin dudas, un cambio en las Relaciones Internacionales. Los pueblos, actores sociales y organizaciones de diversos tipos del Gran Caribe tenemos un significativo reto, no debemos ser simples espectadores de este proceso, debemos ser parte protagónica de este nuevo juego de dominó en el Caribe.
En este sentido, nuestro interés es dirigir la mirada al impacto de las nuevas dinámicas de relación Estados Unidos-Caribe, Estados Unidos-América Latina, América Latina-Caribe y el papel de Cuba en este proceso. Cabe destacar que de los 53 países que hasta el momento ha visitado Barack Obama en sus dos mandatos, once son de la región: el 20,7% de sus viajes han sido a países latinoamericanos, centroamericanos y caribeños[1]. La nación más visitada es México (cinco veces) y con el cual tiene la agenda bilateral más densa, variada y compleja del continente. Ha ido a tres países de Centroamérica (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panamá), a tres del Caribe (Cuba, Jamaica y Trinidad y Tobago) y a cuatro de Sudamérica (Argentina, Brasil, Colombia y Chile).
El redespliegue de Estados Unidos en el área es calculado y balanceado: no se trata solo de reafirmar su influencia en su característico mare nostrum, la amplia Cuenca del Caribe, que constituye, a su vez, su principal perímetro de defensa. Sin duda hay motivos geopolíticos que explican el renovado interés en el área. Existen razones de orden doméstico, como las urgencias para asegurar y/o recuperar mercados para las exportaciones estadounidenses, así como el peso demográfico y electoral interno de los latinoamericanos. Existen también razones de orden internacional como la creciente gravitación de diverso tipo y propósito de actores extra-regionales como China, Rusia, India e Irán en el continente latinoamericano.
Por tanto, invita a la reflexión la impronta de las visitas de Barack Obama a Trinidad y Tobago (2009) y Jamaica (2015) bajo los primeros ministros de Patrick Manning y Portia Simpson Miller, respectivamente. A propósito, esta última durante la conferencia de prensa ofrecida en Jamaica en el marco de la visita de B. Obama, enfatizó que, dentro de la agenda, se incluyó como tema las relaciones internacionales entre Cuba y el resto de las islas del Mar Caribe, sobre lo cual manifestó: “Me alegra decirle, señor presidente, que está usted en el lado acertado de la historia”[2]. Para Jamaica, la visita de Barack Obama significó un cambio. Luego del establecimiento de relaciones exteriores en 1962, los vínculos habían estado signados por la visita de Ronald Reagan en la década de los 80 y los diferentes tratados económicos de las décadas más recientes.

Cumbre CARICOM-Estados Unidos de América, Kingston, Jamaica, abril de 2015. Fuente: www.islandvibesradio.com
Por su parte, ya el gobierno de Trinidad y Tobago había jugado un papel fundamental signado por una política de reencuentro no sólo en la Cumbre de las Américas (2009), donde quedó demostrado la posición general de América Latina y el Caribe de apoyo a la reinserción de Cuba en el esquema general de relaciones hemisféricas, sino por propiciar en unión con los gobiernos de Costa Rica y México, la visita del Presidente de la República Popular China, Xi Jinping a la región en el 2013, que concluyó con un encuentro entre este último y Barack Obama en California. Aspecto que fundamenta la importancia de actores extra-regionales en el desarrollo de las economías caribeñas.
En este contexto se produce la visita de Barack Obama a Cuba, proceso complejo que debe abordarse en el extenso ámbito de las Ciencias Sociales, las Humanidades y las Letras en general. Ninguna de ellas dejará a un lado este hecho histórico y estamos seguros que cada disciplina se apropiará y, a la vez, quedará signada por este acontecimiento. Al menos para la Historia, en los próximos cursos, conferencias, talleres o producción literaria este hecho aparecerá como un momento de inflexión, entendido como el proceso en que cambia el sentido y/o cause de la Historia contemporánea y donde la naturaleza de los propios actores del proceso no se puede obviar.

Jorge “Aldo el Apache Raine” Rodríguez Diez (R10). Tomado de Obama entre personalidades cubanas. http://oncubamagazine.com/oncuba-media/obama-entre-personalidades-cubanas/
 Como sabemos, la visita de B. Obama a Cuba es parte del proceso de restablecimiento de relaciones diplomáticas entre Estados Unidos y Cuba, sin embargo, por sí sola, estamos seguros que fundamenta un antes y un después dentro de la actual coyuntura. En ello, quedan pendientes un sin número de aspectos que, por su complejidad solo mencionaremos a continuación:

la existencia del bloqueo/embargo de Estados Unidos hacia Cuba
la presencia de la Base Naval de Guantánamo
el tratamiento a los derechos humanos en ambos países
el comercio y las reclamaciones sobre las propiedades entre ambas naciones
la necesaria reconciliación entre la sociedad cubana que vive en Cuba y en los Estados Unidos
el impacto en la mentalidad de ambos pueblos que deben recomponer sus patrones culturales sin perder cada uno sus fundamentos patrios
el enfoque identitario nacional y/o cultural, que implica aprender a convivir en la diferencia
la mirada desde la literatura y las artes plásticas, que siempre enaltecen un momento o un contexto determinado
la música, el cine y la comunicación como esa manera de hacer filosofía de vida desde múltiples perspectivas

En definitiva, desafíos y oportunidades en un nuevo contexto de las relaciones internacionales en el Caribe. Exhortamos a la comunidad intelectual interesada en estos aspectos a dedicar un acápite a este tema desde sus diferentes disciplinas. En otras palabras, las buenas relaciones en el ámbito hemisférico deberán construirse sobre la base de gestos e iniciativas concretas que demuestren la seriedad de las intenciones de Estados Unidos, la capacidad real para producir políticas innovadoras por parte de los gobiernos y organismos regionales y multilaterales, en definitiva respetar el compromiso de un orden hemisférico basado en el diálogo y el respeto mutuo.
-------------------------------
[1] Juan Gabriel Tokatlian. La doctrina de Troilo. En: http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elpais/1-295598-2016-03-28.html
[2] http://www.elnuevoherald.com/noticias/mundo/article17975201.html#storylink=cpy
-------------------------------
Vilma Diaz
Spanish Language Sub-editor
CSA Newsletter

Dutch

Guido M. Rojer, Jr.

Eiland mentaliteit
Vaak worden mensen vanuit de Antillen beticht van eiland mentaliteit. Mensen met eiland mentaliteit denken eerder in barrieres dan in mogelijkheden. Het is eerder nee in plaats van misschien. Dit geluid komt vaak vanuit voormaliga kolonisatoren, die zich vaak weer op eilanden terug vinden voor ontwikkelingsamenwerking. Mij ervaring is eigenlijk omgekeerd, dat concluderen mijn collega’s ook.
Eiland mentaliteit heeft te maken met de gedachte dat een eiland, wat ook vaak een kleine samenleving heeft, anders denkt dan mensen in een land. Dit is eerder verbonden met het feit dat het om kleine samenleving gaat, dan met het feit dat het een eiland is. Eilanden zijn juist omgekeerd, en staan juist open voor verandering, juist omdat ze eilanden zijn. Neem het Caribisch Gebied als voorbeeld. De eilanden aldaar moeten zich allemaal als volwaardige landen bewijzen op een international veld, net zo goed als elk ander land. Dat betekent dat een eiland ook over alle velden moet beschikken om te kunnen blijven ontstaan. Vaak is het moeilijk om alles te kunnen dekken, maar dit betekent heus niet dat het onmogelijk is. In het Engels noemt men dit: Specialis Generalist. Een heleboel inwoners hebben vaak dubbele, soms driedubbele, bevoegdheden en houden de tent draaiende.
Dat eilanden vaak klein zijn betekent ook dat een verandering best snel door een groot deel van het gemeenschap meegenomen kan worden. Neem Curaçao als voorbeeld. Juist omdat het een klein eiland is moet men zich in verschillende vreemde talen kunnen uitdrukken om handel in eigen land te kunnen drijven. Bewoners van het eiland spreken met z’n allen, ongeacht van sociaal-economisch achtergrond, vier talen, waaronder twee wereld talen. Dat krijg je niet zo vaak in een buurt in het midden van Engeland, Rusland of Brazilie. Daar kom nog bij dat er grote groepen uit het buitenland zich op het eiland hebben gevestigd, met het gevolg dat er nog meer talen gesproken kunnen worden.
Als we het over eiland mentaliteit willen hebben moeten we eerst alles in balans brengen om iets met zekerheid aan te kunnen wijzen. Grotere landen zijn vaak ouder en zijn door de jaren heen ook volwassen geworden. Vergelijkingen kunnen dus helaas niet 1 op 1 worden gedaan.
Guido M. Rojer, Jr.
Dutch and Papiamentu Language Sub-editor
CSA Newsletter

Hélène Zamor

Français

------------------------------------
Helene Zamor
French & Martinican Creole Language Sub-editor
CSA Newsletter

Guido M. Rojer, Jr.

Papiamentu
Estudionan di Karibe
No ta poko biaha nos ta hasi nos mes e pregunta: Kiko ta Karibe? Den mi karera akadémiko mi a para ketu na e pregunta aki varios biaha, i semper a keda ku dos kontesta: esun fiho i esun ku ta varia. Hendenan di Karibe Hulandés ta eksperensha “Karibe” komo un konsepto liber ku tin diferente forma, i ta depende di ken bo ta papia ku’ne. Ta masha komun pa referí na islanan Inglés komo Karibe, ya ku esei ta e idea romantisá di solo, santu I laman ku Estado Unidense ta kai riba dje. E influensha aki a bini primordialmente di nos lasonan ku e islanan aki den e tempunan di migrashon pa trabou pero tambe pa e imagennan ku nos ta eksponé na dje.
Karibe ta un konsepto mas grandi ku solamente isla. E ta un komportashon, e ta un manera di pensa, e ta varia den kultura, i mas importante e no ta algu fiho. Nos tin un opseshon ku definí kosnan den detaye, temer paso nos kier logra splika konseptonan kla i raspá. Ta duelmi pa hopi di bisa ku lamentablemente esaki no ta posibel. Den varios kaso e diskushon mas importante no ta e resultado, ni su rais, sino definishon di e rais. Den e kaso aki definishon di “Karibe” ta unu ku ta gosa di un diskushon enorme. Pa por diskuti sanamente riba e tópiko aki nos mester halsa nos nivel di pensa for di uso di definishon, pa uso di konsepto.
Lag’ami duna algun idea di kiko Karibe lo por ta. Tur ora ku nos diskuti tokante Karibe mes ora un hende mester pone komo regla ku tin 4 Karibe, Ingles, Franses, Spaño i Hulandes. Asinaki ta krea un divishon ku ta stroba e analise di e konsepto Karibe. Idioma ta un vehikulo pa komunikashon, bo por huza diferente palabra i konsepto pa e mesun mensahe. Kulturalmente nos ta mira ku ta e mesun tipo di mensahe ta pasa den e komunidatnan di Karibe, irespektivo di kua idioma ta huza.
Esaki ta algu ku mi ta haña ku akadémikonan mester tene hopi na bista ora ta hasi análise pasó e ta pone ku nos ta krea modelonan den nos kabes sin tin mester. Esaki ta suprayá algu mas importante: e barera di idioma ta stroba nos mira nos similaridat. Mi ta kere pa esnan di Karibe Hulandes e ta un tiki mas fasil pa mira ya ku mayoria di nos, miho bisá nos tur, por komunika den e 4 idiomanan di Karibe. Ta na nos komo sientífiko pa por trese esaki dilanti konstantemente pa por yega na analisá Karibe komo unu.
E kolumna aki no ta permití espasio pa papia riba tur e aspektonan pa definí Karibe, pero nos lo tuma e lunanan ku ta bini aki pa splika esaki ya nos por tin un diskushon fruktífero aya na Port au Prince den yüni.
Guido M. Rojer, Jr.
Dutch and Papiamentu Language Sub-editor
CSA Newsletter

GRADUATE STUDENT CORNER

Lauren Pragg

This month we have the 7th contribution in our inspiring feature series on graduate students and their work. If you’re a grad student who’d like to contribute please reach me at lrpragg@yorku.ca.
Who are you?
My name is Lauren Pragg and I’m currently a PhD Candidate in the Social and Political Thought department at York University (Toronto). I also work with Shameless Magazine as the Columns Editor, Online Community Curator, and Youth Advisory Board co-facilitator.
What are you working on?
Right now I’m working on my dissertation which is interested in the lives of queer Trinidadian women. I’m in the process of transcribing almost 30 interviews, and writing my paper for CSA on Nicki Minaj.
In addition to that I’m just about to wrap up a position at Planned Parenthood Toronto where I’ve been coordinating a research project on young queer women’s sexual health need and digital technology.
Where are you from/based/going?
I was born and raised in Scarborough, Ontario to two Trinidadian parents - one from Freeport, and one from San Fernando.
What's your self-care routine/tips?
In order to take care of myself I make sure my academic work in balanced with community organizing and involvement. I also spend as much time as I can with my 8 month old niece, and my recently adopted rescue dog.
Who's your inspiration?

my ancestors
my niece
my communities
my mentors

Why CSA?
The CSA was my first exposure to academic culture and community. I stumbled upon it as an undergrad and have always looked to the annual meetings as a place of grounding for my work. The CSA has given me a consistent opportunity for learning, accountability and growth.
What are you excited about?
I’m hoping to explore other forms of media, such as podcasts and digital video. I think they both offer the potential of accessible archives to those communities who are usually left out or erased from institutional forms of record keeping.
Lauren Pragg
Graduate Student Representative
CSA 2015- 2017

FEATURED CSA MEMBER

 Dr. Lynette M. Lashley

DR. LYNETTE M. LASHLEY

Dr. Lynette Margaret Lashley, was born and raised in Trinidad and Tobago.  She graduated from Bishop Anstey High School, Port of Spain, Trinidad, obtained her B.A. in English, from Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., M.A. in Journalism with a concentration in International Mass Communication, from University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, and  Ph.D. in Mass Communication, Television Studies, from Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. She is now a retired Full Professor with over 40 years combined experience in the practice, teaching, and scholarship in Mass Communication, Communication, and Journalism, predominantly related to Trinidad and Tobago, and the Caribbean.
Before academia, Dr. Lashley held positions in Trinidad and Tobago, as the Supervisor of Public Relations at the Water and Sewerage Authority, Research Officer in the Public Relations Department of the Prime Minister’s Office, and was the first Public Relations Officer appointed by the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago.  While still at the Central Bank, Dr. Lashley was invited to take up a full-time position with the UWI, St. Augustine, Trinidad, to teach  Agricultural Communication in the Department of Agricultural Extension, which she accepted.  This appointment was her entry to a career in academia, which would span over a period of more than 30 years.
As is requisite for academe, Dr. Lashley left the University of the West Indies, and went on to Northwestern University to pursue her doctorate in Mass Communication, concentrating on Television Studies.  Her dissertation was:  “Disseminating Agricultural Information to Farmers in Trinidad and Tobago through Television”.
Combining her practitioner’s and academic skills, Dr. Lashley was able to teach and design courses for research in various aspects of mass communication/communication studies including International Mass Communication, Cultural Communication, and Political Communication, at universities, internationally.  In the USA, she taught at Eastern Illinois, Creighton, Florida Memorial, Indiana University-South Bend, and Claflin universities.  Occasionally, she worked with The Foundation for Democracy in Africa program, training media practitioners from English-speaking countries in Africa.  In the United Arab Emirates, she taught at the American University of Sharjah.
Besides teaching, Dr. Lashley was Director of the Communications program at Florida Memorial University, Coordinator of the Communications  program at the American University of Sharjah, and Coordinator/Chair of the Communication Arts Program at Indiana University-South Bend.
Dr. Lashley has presented several research articles at various academic forums internationally, and has published scholarly research mainly based on Trinidad and Tobago, in the areas of electronic media programming, the calypso as mass communication, and political commentary in calypso. She has been a lifetime member of CSA, for over 26 years, and has presented sixteen papers on the aforementioned topics.  She has also organized three panels - Mass Media and Caribbean Society, 15th Annual Caribbean Studies Association Conference, Port of Spain, Trinidad, May, 1990, Issues in the Media of the Caribbean , 34th Annual Caribbean Studies Association Conference, Kingston, Jamaica, June 2009, and Hegemony and Dominant Ideology: Racial and Ethnic Representations in the Media of two Commonwealth Caribbean countries,  37th Annual Caribbean Studies Association Conference, Gosier, Guadeloupe, May 2012.
Included in Dr. Lashley’s major publications on the aforementioned topics, are:  Effects of American Popular Music on the Youth of Trinidad and Tobago: A Study in Cultural Imperialism. In B. J. Anderson Caribbean Society and Popular Music. McGraw-Hill Custom College Series, New York, 1996;  Television and the Americanization of the Trinbagonian Youth: A Study of Six Secondary Schools. In H. S. Dunn Globalization, Communications, and Cultural Identity. Ian Randle Publishers, Kingston, Jamaica, 1996;  Television and the Cultural Environment in Trinidad and Tobago: A Need for Policy. Bulletin of Eastern Caribbean Affairs. Vol. 20, No. 4, Dec. 1995,  Intimidation of  Calypsonians by the UNC Government of Trinidad and Tobago. Proud Flesh: New Afrikan Journal of Culture, Politics & Consciousness, Issue 3, 2004. http:www.proudfleshjournal.com.
While at Creighton University, Dr. Lashley received a Faculty Research Grant in 1995, which enabled her to be part of a delegation of U.S. academics and media practitioners on a study mission to China, organized by the U.S. Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC).  The delegation called on universities in Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou, to investigate journalism/mass communication curricula, visited Xinhua, the national news agency, and media houses in the three cities.  She did a research presentation, "Developmental Journalism Alive? - A Content Analysis of the China Daily." 18th National Third World Studies Conference, University of Nebraska, Omaha, Nebraska, October, 1995,   two lectures, "Women and Contemporary China." Guest Speaker, League of Women Voters, International Relations Meeting, Omaha, Nebraska, December, 1994, and "A Look at China in 1994." Guest Speaker, Women's Network, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, November, 1994.
Dr. Lashley received a Faculty Research Grant from Indiana University, South Bend, and was a delegate on a similar AEJMC study mission to South Africa in 2004.  The delegation visited and examined the journalism/mass communication curricula at universities in Johannesburg, and Cape Town, and media houses in those cities.  She was tasked with examining the status of black practitioners in South Africa, ten years after the fall of apartheid.  This resulted in the publication, “The Role of an NGO in the Training of Media Practitioners in Post-Apartheid South Africa.  African Growth and Opportunity Act Civil Society Network Newsletter. Vol. 1, Issue 5, June 2004,”  two lectures, “The Status of Black Practitioners in the Media of Post-Apartheid South Africa,” sponsored by the Media  Association of Trinidad and Tobago,  Port of Spain, Trinidad, August, 2004, and “Impressions of the Media of  Post-Apartheid South Africa.”  Pan African Students’ Union Forum, Indiana University South Bend, Indiana, April 2004.
In 2010, Dr. Lashley retired from academia, after the Trinidad and Tobago Government under Prime Minister Patrick Manning, solicited and hired her as Special Technical Adviser to the Minister of Information.  During her tenure there, she produced the “Guide to Strategic Communication”, a manual which is used for communication purposes by all  Communications personnel of the various Ministries of the government.
Dr. Lashley’s work continues to be cited in many academic, and non-academic publications and lecture presentations.   On January 12, 2014, in an address at Queens Hall, Port of Spain, on the occasion of the National Action Cultural Committee’s 26th Annual Top 20 Stars of Gold and Calypso of the Year Ceremony, the Honourable the Chief Justice of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, Justice Ivor Archie, quoted several excerpts from her work on the calypso and political commentary.
Since her retirement, Dr. Lashley has been doing periodical assignments with the Broward County Public Schools, Florida.  She also serves as External Examiner/Reader for theses and dissertations in Mass Communication/Communication at various universities, and writes cultural communication-related articles for Trinidad and Tobago newspapers.
[ CLICK HERE to view Academic Resume ]
SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR HAITIAN CHILDREN PROJECT ­ Update and Reminder
Students of Cornell University and Ohio University are partnering to create a project that accompanies the Caribbean Studies Association conference in Haiti by putting together school supplies that will go to the children of Deleard.

The purpose of the Black Student Cultural Programming Board (BSCPB) at Ohio University is to provide social, cultural, educational, and recreational programs for African American and other multicultural students. BSCPB seeks to expose others to the culture, thoughts, and perspectives of African American and multicultural students. Our mission runs throughout Ohio University, as well as throughout Athens, Ohio. The goal is to serve as a resource for the empowerment of the cultural programming at Ohio University. The Board is housed with the diversity department at Ohio University. The diversity found at the school provides opportunities for youth to develop into future leaders of a diverse world. We believe that embracing diversity promotes creativity and innovation.

We understand that developing countries face high unemployment, heavy debt burdens, and trade constraints, all of which hinder sustained growth and social well­being. Our goals are empowerment, growth, and social well­being. Education is the most important tool to achieve these goals. Additionally, children who complete primary education are more likely to end the cycle of poverty in their generation. Education increases confidence, enabling students to become self­sufficient, and fully contributing members of their communities. So when the Caribbean Studies Association presented the opportunity for the Board to
partner with a school for the children of Deleard, BSCPB seized it.

Ujamaa is the Black Cultural Residential hub at Cornell University. We believe that it is essential that Ujamaa and its community members play a vital role in providing assistance to people of Afrikan descent no matter where we are located. Ujamaa Residential College will serve as the central collecting location for the gathering of supplies for Haiti’s elementary students. Once students have completed the gathering of supplies, the supplies will accompany us on our journey to Haiti for the 41st Caribbean Studies Association Conference, which will include delivering the supplies to the De'leard School. We are working with the Haitian Students Association at Cornell in this project and they are actively developing projects to collect school supplies.

We invite you to contribute by also bringing supplies for elementary school children that will go in the cinch packs provided by Ohio University. We are planning to produce 150 bags.

Winsome Chunnu Brayda, Ohio University

Marcus Scales, Cornell University

Copyright © 2015 Caribbean Studies Association. All rights reserved.
 Contact email: secretariat@caribbeanstudiesassociation.org