[Xmca-l] Re: the technical meaning of "imitation" that requires "under/standing"

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 12:44:02 PDT 2015

Hi Larry,

I didn't read a direct question in your request.  If you're asking about
the relation between understanding and interpretation, I would say that
they are both predicated on appreciation of the meanings in the situations.

Note that the criteria of a "test by imitation" will necessarily refer to a
special kind of imitation, that traverses the latently meaningful
circumstances that represent what skill is being imitated.  Imitation by
rote will not suffice for content requiring interpretation that is
contingent upon the orientation and goals of the actor.

This is the same thing as the assertion that one must engage with the
problem rather than learning set rules, in order to achieve conceptual
development.

Best,
Huw