[Xmca-l] Re: Hitler's World by T. Snyder

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Wed Sep 16 14:22:59 PDT 2015

David, do you think that it was his incoherent ideas, or our guns, that led to his defeat?

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David H Kirshner
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:56 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hitler's World by T. Snyder

David,

I found opening of this window into Hitler's thinking to be very revealing.
In the past Hitler has been a black box to me, a stimulus to my response of revulsion, a compelling lunatic whose emotive compulsion against the Jews was contagious.

Now I see that Hitler was a man of ideas--mostly incoherent ideas, but ideas nonetheless.
My takeaway from the article is that in the end Hitler's ideas were not persuasive.
In fact, he was inconsistent and somewhat opportunistic in his framing of his ideas.

But, importantly, he signified to the German people as a leader who was guided by ideas, and whose anger and hatred toward the Jews was justified by ideas, notwithstanding that few people had any real understanding of what these ideas might be. This made him potent as a leader far beyond what he could have achieved had his hatred and compulsion against the Jews been seen in purely emotional terms.

He is a testament not to the power of ideas, but to the power of the idea of ideas.

David