[Xmca-l] Re: Hitler's World by T. Snyder

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:01:58 PDT 2015

Hi David,

Your last paragraph concerns "what is the power that moves peoples?".  This
is the criteria which, I believe, qualifies a historical account of a
pan-continental kind to be of a high standard, i.e. it doesn't merely
describe, it seeks to explain, which is what the Tolstoy quotes were
concerning.

As I understand it, the 'educated and civilized' people of Germany did not
adopt these ideas, but rather suffered them.  Interestingly with respect to
rational responses, Jung thought of rationality as a very feeble defense
against the tide of social attitudes engulfing Germany at the time.  We do
not really need to look to the extremes to see this at work.   A mere
refusal to sing a royal national anthem can enrage those in its thrall, as
we see with labour's first glimmers of liberal leadership from Jeremy
Corbyn (see
http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/sep/16/jeremy-corbyn-and-the-national-anthem-a-press-chorus-of-disapproval
).

Best,