[Xmca-l] Re: Hitler's World by T. Snyder

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:04:20 PDT 2015

This thread is enough to make a Buddhist out of one.

With Peekaboo we’re back to Annalisa’s video of the child and the baby gorilla at the zoo playing peekaboo. I googled “peekaboo” and found that it “...is thought by developmental psychologists <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_psychology> to demonstrate an infant's inability to understand object permanence <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_permanence>.” Am I wrong, or isn’t Heisenberg showing us that it’s impossible to prove such permanence? There’s no there there. As well, the “God particle” is no particle at all. It’s a field. Then there’s the closing of each of Mike’s posts from Boesch: "It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object that creates history.”

Thanks to Huw for Tolstoy. War and Peace challenges (some) conceptions of freedom and human agency. So does the quote from Boesch that ends each of Mike’s posts. But doesn’t Snyder point precisely to the failure of Hitler’s nihilistic project to come to terms with Boesch’s dilemma? I guess I’m pointing here myself to the crises of psychology that are at the heart of Vygotsky’s work.

And, aren’t comedy and tragedy both figure and ground to one another? Back to Buddhism. Or am I totally off thread and off my rocker?

 Henry