[Xmca-l] Re: Hitler's World by T. Snyder

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 05:35:10 PDT 2015

The titles don't communicate "essential reading".  Perhaps one should
consider the argument fluently expressed by Tolstoy first?  The extract
below is from the second epilogue to Tolstoy's War and Peace (
http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/free_ebooks/War_and_Peace_NT.pdf)

"If the purpose of history be to give a description of the movement of
humanity and of the peoples, the first question- in the absence of a reply
to which all the rest will be incomprehensible- is: what is the power that
moves peoples? To this, modern history laboriously replies either that
Napoleon was a great genius, or that Louis XIV was very proud, or that
certain writers wrote certain books.

All that may be so and mankind is ready to agree with it, but it is not
what was asked. All that would be interesting if we recognized a divine
power based on itself and always consistently directing its nations through
Napoleons, Louis-es, and writers; but we do not acknowledge such a power,
and therefore before speaking about Napoleons, Louis-es, and authors, we
ought to be shown the connection existing between these men and the
movement of the nations."

Best,
Huw